Officer injured in hit-and-run crash; officials stress importance of ‘Move Over’ law

Officer Connor Boyle, 25, is out of the hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.

Matt Trapani and Nick Meidanis

Apr 25, 2023, 10:51 PM

Updated 447 days ago


A serious hit-and-run crash involving a Robbinsville police officer is bringing attention to New Jersey’s “Move Over” law.
Officer Connor Boyle, 25, is out of the hospital and is expected to make a full recovery. But anyone who sees the video of the crash from Boyle’s police cruiser dashboard camera would say that he is lucky to be alive.
Robbinsville police say the crash happened Saturday night. They say that Boyle was assisting a driver whose car broke down on Route 130. This is when another vehicle crashed into Boyle and the disabled vehicle. Police say that the driver did not stop to help Boyle and kept going.
"I hope enough people see the video and are as appalled as we are," says AAA spokesperson Tracy Noble.
The driver was identified as 52-year-old Rachel Glatt. She was later arrested at her home and faces multiple charges, including aggravated assault on a police officer leaving the scene of an accident, and failure to change lanes for an emergency vehicle.
Boyle had the flashing lights of his police vehicle turned on and flares were out on the roadway at the time of the crash.
"That officer knew they were in a bad location. He said we are going to get this vehicle off the road, we're going to push it into this parking lot. They were making an effort to get to safety," Noble says.
New Jersey’s “Move Over” law requires drivers to slow down and move over to the center lanes when approaching emergency vehicles pulled over on the side of the roadway.
Officials say that nearly 300 police officers nationwide have died in crashes over the last 10 years – crashes some say could be avoided if drivers moved over.
Noble says that there is new legislation in the state to expand the law to include moving over for disabled vehicles in addition to emergency vehicles.
Glatt was taken to the Mercer County Correctional Facility following her arrest. If convicted, she could face at least five years in prison.
Boyle is set to begin work as a school resource officer once he has fully recovered.

More from News 12