Heat advisory continues in New Jersey as highs approach near 100 degrees; scattered severe storms possible

Need help filing your taxes? Here’s some tax tips from a New Jersey accountant

Need help filing your taxes?

News 12 Staff

Feb 16, 2022, 11:08 AM

Updated 858 days ago


Need help filing your taxes?  
News 12 New Jersey’s Tony Caputo talked with Nicole DeRosa, a CPA, and senior tax manager with Weiss & Co. in Florham Park as well as a member of the NJCPA.   
Nicole has some important tax tips when it comes to filing your taxes.    
Here are her top five hit items:  
  1. Properly reporting and reconciling advanced child tax credit payments – be careful here!!!  If not properly reconciled, any refund due will be significantly delayed (refer to IRS Letter 6419). 
  2. Properly reporting Economic Impact Payment #3 and claiming the Recovery Rebate Credit, if eligible (again, be careful and refer to IRS Letter 1444) 
  3. Non-itemizer cash charitable donation $300/$600 (single/married filing jointly). GoFundMe’s do not count as a charitable donation 
  4. Making sure you are taking advantage on your New Jersey tax return of the lower medical deduction threshold (2%) and also if you rent instead of own (NJ allows 18% of total rent paid, as a property tax deduction) 
  5. Electronically filing your tax return whenever able to, and having refunds directly deposited into your bank account 

More from News 12