Firefighters extinguish dryer fire at assisted living facility that forced around 70 outside

A fire inside Spring Oak Assisted Living facility in Lanoka Harbor forced dozens of people outside Monday morning, but quick work by volunteer firefighters helped put an end to a potentially dangerous situation. 
First responders were on scene after a dryer fire filled the second and third floors with smoke. Around 70 staff and residents were quickly evacuated outside as crews put out the fire.  
Lanoka Harbor Fire Chief Jack Conaty says surrounding volunteers from Forked River and backup crews remained on standby because of the heat, humidity and the vulnerable residents. No one was hurt, in part because of the training and familiarity the fire crews have with the facility.  
“We trained over there numerous times everybody knew exactly what had to be done when and where the training from all the volunteers over there paid off,” says Conaty. “All in all, it was a great day.”
Residents were back inside after the smoke conditions cleared.