Fire destroys family's newly renovated home in Old Tappan

A morning fire destroyed a Bergen County family’s newly renovated home.
The Mazza family says that they were awoken by a fire inside their Old Tappan home around 7 a.m. Wednesday. Angelo Mazza says that he, his wife, sister-in-law and twin baby boys were able to get out of the home unharmed moments before flames fully engulfed the house.
“My wife woke me up in a panic,” he says. “This was the first day I took off.”
Mazza says that he believes that the fire started on the porch and he thinks that it was caused by faulty Christmas lights.
"They ran to get the boys and I turned to get the pug. I really thought I could put it out until I got to the first floor and the flame was just coming in,” Mazza says.
The family’s home was recently renovated, but it was destroyed by the fire.
A GoFundMe page set up for the family has already raised nearly $50,000 as of Wednesday evening.