Authorities: Fire that killed 90-year-old Red Bank woman was started by overheating power strip

A fire that killed a 90-year-old Red Bank woman Wednesday morning was started by an overheating power strip, according to fire officials.
Hazel Davis was found dead inside her Evergreen Terrace Apartments unit. Crews arrived on the scene after 911 calls came in from residents in the complex reporting heavy black smoke coming from Unit 9.
Neighbors say Davis was born and raised in the township.
“She was a very loving person. Very nice, nice personality,” says Alberto Whittington.
Neighbors say Davis was an active member of her church, was well-known in town and always had a positive outlook on life.
“My cousin, she would cook for her, helped take care of her. This is a tight-knit community. Everyone takes care of everybody, and it’s just sad,” says Cedric Carr.
The fire chief says the fire was contained inside just one unit. Surrounding units were evacuated for safety purposes.