What's Cooking: Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace's zucchini gondola
Chef Vinny Olivieri, of Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace, shows News 12's Lily Stolzberg how to make zucchini gondolas.
• 3 large zucchini
• 1 lb ground loose sausage (sweet or hot)
• 1 pt chopped cherry tomatoes cut in half (yellow or multi-colored)
• ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
• 4 oz crumbled gorgonzola cheese
• 1/3 cup Croutons
• ¼ cup Uncle Giuseppe's Marinara Sauce
• 2 tsp Kosher salt
• ½ tsp black pepper
• 2 TBS extra-virgin olive oil.
1. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise.
2. Using a spoon, scoop out center of zucchini to create boats and set zucchini flesh aside.
3. Pre-heat a medium sauté pan on medium high heat. Add olive oil to pan.
4. Add crumbled sausage to pan and cook for 5-8 minutes or until browned.
5. Add onions to pan, season with salt and pepper and sauté for 1 minute.
6. Next add tomatoes and sauté for 1 minute.
7. Add zucchini flesh and marinara sauce and allow to simmer for 4-5 minutes.
8. Remove pan from heat, break up croutons and add to pan. Mix well to form your filling.
9. Add capers.
10. Once slightly cooled mix in gorgonzola cheese.
11. Place zucchini "boats" on a parchment lined baking sheet.
12. Using a large spoon stuff "boats" with filling and place in a 450-degree pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes.