What's Cooking: Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace's Bucatini Amatriciana
Chef Vinny Olivieri, of Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace, shows News 12's Lily Stolzberg how to make Bucatini Amatriciana.
1 lb. bucatini
½ lb. guanciale
1 cup pecorino
1-quart whole peeled tomatoes (crushed by hand)
1 cup pasta water
½ tsp red pepper flakes
2 tbs. finely chopped onion
1 tbs. finely chopped garlic
1 tbs. chopped parsley
1. Remove the outer layer of skin from the guanciale and discard.
2. Cut the guanciale in to thin strips.
3. Heat a sauté pan and add the guanciale. Cook on medium heat making sure not to burn while rendering the fat.
4. Once the guanciale is nice and crispy remove from pan and set aside.
5. Discard half the rendered fat.
6. In the same pan add the red pepper flakes, onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent.
7. While onion is cooking drop the bucatini in a pot of salted boiling water.
8. Once the onion is translucent add the tomatoes and sauté for two minutes.
9. Add half the guanciale back to the pan with sauce.
10. Once the bucatini is cooked to your desired doneness, place the cooked pasta straight from the hot water to the pan with sauce.
11. Add the pecorino and the pasta water and mix until all is incorporated.
12. Plate and top with the rest of the guanciale, parsley and pecorino.