Thousands of customers remain without power in Middletown

In Middletown, there are now less than 10,000 people still without power.

News 12 Staff

Aug 6, 2020, 8:47 PM

Updated 1,351 days ago

Share:

Power outages across Monmouth County have sparked an increase in generator usage and calls to the fire department.
In Middletown, there are now less than 10,000 people still without power. 
Mayor Tony Perry says he knows that it has been tough on everyone.
"We appreciate the public's patience," says Perry "I know it's frustrating."
In Middletown, more than 11,000 people are without power. Mayor Tony Perry says that's about 43% of the town, prompting many people to use generators.
Mayor Perry tells News 12 that in the past two days, the fire department has responded to more than 100 carbon monoxide calls. Perry says that is typically more calls than they get in an entire year.
The mayor says for those having to deal with the heat, the ShopRite and Middletown Foodtown are providing free ice and water.
There are also cooling stations at the Middletown town hall and senior center.
"We have cooling stations right here at Middletown town hall where they can come and charge up their electronics and stay in the air conditioning or they can go to our senior center," says Perry.
In North Middletown, neighbors are helping neighbors by lending out their generators. 
"Our neighbor here is taking care of us," says Jack Belini. "Neighbor over here is taking care of the guy next door to him. So you know we're all trying to pitch in and help each other out."
Cliff Cole, a spokesperson for JCP&L, tells News 12 that 85% of customers will have power restored by Friday night. The remaining 15% of customers should have power restored by Tuesday night.
Your Photos: Tropical Storm Isaias
undefined
 
 


More from News 12
3:04
Mayor: Some Marlboro schools receive bomb threat 2nd day in a row, schools on 2-hour delay

Mayor: Some Marlboro schools receive bomb threat 2nd day in a row, schools on 2-hour delay

1:45
Rain showers return tonight in New Jersey; temps warm up for the weekend

Rain showers return tonight in New Jersey; temps warm up for the weekend

2:51
EPA: Elevated levels of lead found at multiple East Trenton homes, parks

EPA: Elevated levels of lead found at multiple East Trenton homes, parks

0:25
Boil water advisory issued for parts of Monmouth County

Boil water advisory issued for parts of Monmouth County

0:20
Atlantic City’s Central Pier bursts into flames

Atlantic City’s Central Pier bursts into flames

2:43
‘Now he literally has a part of me.’ Brother donates part of his liver to twin

‘Now he literally has a part of me.’ Brother donates part of his liver to twin

0:27
Police: Husband and wife stole jewelry from Bridgewater retirement facility

Police: Husband and wife stole jewelry from Bridgewater retirement facility

0:29
GoFundMe pages created for Paterson families displaced by house fires

GoFundMe pages created for Paterson families displaced by house fires

2:32
Main Street New Jersey: Some great food spots to try in South River

Main Street New Jersey: Some great food spots to try in South River

Is your mom awesome? New Jersey tell us why your Mom Rocks!

Is your mom awesome? New Jersey tell us why your Mom Rocks!

0:54
Guide: How to host Passover on a budget

Guide: How to host Passover on a budget

2:23
Rutgers police: Person charged for shooting people with Orbeez gun

Rutgers police: Person charged for shooting people with Orbeez gun

3:40
Police: Marlboro Township Public Schools, Trenton Board of Ed receive 'unfounded' bomb threats

Police: Marlboro Township Public Schools, Trenton Board of Ed receive 'unfounded' bomb threats

Show off your team spirit! Share your photos with News 12

Show off your team spirit! Share your photos with News 12

0:16
Police: Man tried to stab UPS driver who refused to give him a ride

Police: Man tried to stab UPS driver who refused to give him a ride

0:41
Jersey Proud: Holi celebration held at Cooper University Hospital in Camden

Jersey Proud: Holi celebration held at Cooper University Hospital in Camden

0:29
Police: North Carolina man killed in crash on Garden State Parkway in Irvington

Police: North Carolina man killed in crash on Garden State Parkway in Irvington

House of Independents announces initial summer lineup following temporary closure due to flooding damage

House of Independents announces initial summer lineup following temporary closure due to flooding damage

Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald says Travis Green is part of his search for a new coach

Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald says Travis Green is part of his search for a new coach

7-Eleven, Wawa or QuickCheck? New poll reveals New Jersey’s favorite convenience store

7-Eleven, Wawa or QuickCheck? New poll reveals New Jersey’s favorite convenience store