Officials: Strange smell sends 4 firefighters, 6 residents to hospital

Four Jersey City firefighters were sent to the hospital Tuesday after responding to a call.

News 12 Staff

Sep 13, 2022, 11:46 PM

Updated 649 days ago

Share:

Four Jersey City firefighters were sent to the hospital Tuesday after responding to a call.
The Jersey City Fire Department responded to reports of a strange odor making people sick on the 500 block of Bergen Avenue just before 5 p.m.
Officials say that people living in the four-story building were evacuated as a precaution.
Four firefighters were taken to the hospital for complaints of eye irritation and respiratory issues. Six residents were also taken to the hospital for difficulty breathing.
Officials say that the odor was caused by faulty mace located inside the building.


More from News 12