NOAA predicts above-normal Atlantic hurricane season - what can we expect?

The official start of the Atlantic hurricane season is June 1. This is the first year in the last seven Atlantic hurricane seasons that a preseason storm hasn’t occurred before the official start of the hurricane season. If this trend continues through the end of May, what does this mean for this year’s Atlantic hurricane season? 
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Climate Prediction Center is predicting another above-normal Atlantic hurricane season. Forecasters predict a 65% chance of an above-normal season, 25% chance of a near-normal season and a 10% chance of a below-normal season. For the 2022 hurricane season, NOAA is forecasting 14 to 21 named storms, of which six to 10 could become hurricanes- including three to six major hurricanes of Category 3 or higher.    
An ongoing La Nina pattern is expected to persist for the 2022 Atlantic hurricane season. Warmer-than-average sea surface temperatures in the tropical Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea, weaker tropical Atlantic trade winds, and an enhanced West African monsoon will likely be factors in this year’s overall activity.
Your News 12 Storm Watch team of meteorologists is here to keep you safe, prepared and informed during this upcoming Atlantic hurricane season.