Former NJ national guardsman who set off large FBI manhunt pleads guilty to capitol riot charges

Gregory Yetman pleaded guilty to a felony charge after being accused of assaulting police with pepper spray on Jan. 6, 2021.

Lanette Espy

Apr 26, 2024, 11:33 AM

Updated 32 days ago

Share:

A former New Jersey national guardsman who sparked a three-day manhunt in 2023 as officers tried to arrest him on charges from the Jan. 6 Capital riot has pleaded guilty to a felony offense.
Gregory Yetman, 47, of Helmetta, set off a large manhunt in the state back in November 2023. Officers tried to arrest him at his home and said he ran off into the woods. They later found guns and ammo in his home and car. Yetman turned himself in days later.
He pleaded guilty to a felony charge of assaulting, resisting, or impeding certain officers with physical contact after being accused of assaulting police with pepper spray on Jan. 6, 2021.
Authorities previously said there are photos of Yetman at the Capitol. They say that in one of those photos he can be seen using a large canister of pepper spray on police and the crowd of protesters.
Yetman will be sentenced on July 22. It’s unclear what kind of prison time he faces.
In the 39 months since Jan. 6, 2021, the U.S. Department of Justice says more than 1,385 individuals have been charged in nearly all 50 states for crimes related to the breach of the U.S. Capitol, including nearly 500 individuals charged with assaulting or impeding law enforcement, a felony. The investigation remains ongoing.


More from News 12