Doctors urge parents to be on high alert for small batteries found in household products

A new federal law signed last month drew attention to the potential dangers of small batteries that are found in many household devices.

Rachel Yonkunas

Sep 26, 2022, 9:58 PM

Updated 628 days ago

Share:

A new federal law signed last month drew attention to the potential dangers of small batteries that are found in many household devices.
Doctors want parents to be on alert about the harm button batteries can cause to children if accidentally swallowed.
The tiny, shiny lithium batteries look like coins and can be attractive to curious children. Some children are going to emergency rooms with life-threatening injuries after accidentally swallowing the button batteries.
Last year, 3-year-old Atarah ingested a lithium button battery. Her mom had no idea what happened, but she noticed her daughter had difficulty eating and showed little interest in her food.
She brought Atarah to the gastroenterologist and the radiologist to check for a blockage in her stomach. An X-ray showed the tiny battery lodged in the child's esophagus.
"Imagining her having that thing in her throat for a long time and I didn't even know about it, I just burst out crying," said Elmitas Jean, of Westbury.
They immediately rushed to the emergency department at Cohen Children's Medical Center, where a team of doctors were waiting. It took Dr. Neha Patel, a pediatric otolaryngologist, an hour to remove the battery from Atarah's esophagus. She said it was one of the most difficult cases she ever saw.
One of the reasons button batteries are so dangerous is that they can cause an electrochemical reaction and burn through the esophagus. They can be found in everyday household devices such as remote controls, tea lights, flameless candles, garage door openers and more.
Atarah's battery had been stuck for so long that her esophagus looked like minced meat.
"It's kind of like a small bomb explodes in your throat," Dr. Patel says. "You could have damage to your body within 15 minutes of battery ingestion. Within 2 hours, you can have permanent damage."
If a button battery damages the aorta, a child could have life-threatening bleeding that happens weeks later and, in some cases, even death.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) said they are aware of at least 10 reported deaths among children between 2017 and 2021. Their ages range from 15 months to two years old.
In 2021, Dr. Patel saw six separate cases in a two-month period.
"And that's a drastic increase. I think button batteries are more readily available. They're in household items. They're part of modern living," Dr. Patel added.
According to a study in the journal Pediatrics, there were 70,322 battery-related emergency department visits among children 18 years and younger between 2010 and 2019—twice as many visits as the previous decade.
Team 12 Investigates asked five major hospital systems on Long Island what they are seeing. We found none keep track of this data, but doctors said they are treating around five to 10 patients a year with this issue.
In August, President Biden signed Reese's Law in memory of an 18-month-old child who died weeks after swallowing a button battery. The law requires CPSC staff to establish new product safety standards for button batteries regarding packaging and warning labels.
Dr. Patel said if a child ingested a button battery, some signs may include drooling, refusing to eat, difficulty swallowing and noisy breathing.
"The minute you have a suspicion that a child had swallowed something, you want to go to the emergency room right away because time is of the essence here," Dr. Patel says.
From now on, Atarah's mom is not taking any chances. She urges other parents not to change out batteries in front of children to keep them out of reach.
"Anything that's small, put it away," Jean says. "Put it where they won't be able to see it."


More from News 12
1:37
Sinkhole rips through Hoboken waterfront walkway

Sinkhole rips through Hoboken waterfront walkway

1:47
Father’s Day stunner: Temperatures in the 70s with sun and some clouds

Father’s Day stunner: Temperatures in the 70s with sun and some clouds

1:00
Morristown records building showcases artworks by Black and Afro-Latina artists

Morristown records building showcases artworks by Black and Afro-Latina artists

0:20
EF-0 landspout tornado confirmed in Lawrence Township, NWS says

EF-0 landspout tornado confirmed in Lawrence Township, NWS says

1:57
‘Unity in the community.’ Juneteenth Festival celebrated along Bergen Street in Newark

‘Unity in the community.’ Juneteenth Festival celebrated along Bergen Street in Newark

0:38
Stafford police: Shoplifting suspect found with deer inside bag, crack cocaine at ShopRite

Stafford police: Shoplifting suspect found with deer inside bag, crack cocaine at ShopRite

Is your dad awesome? New Jersey tell us why your dad rocks!

Is your dad awesome? New Jersey tell us why your dad rocks!

0:26
Authorities: Paramus man obtained COVID-19 relief loans for business that closed before pandemic

Authorities: Paramus man obtained COVID-19 relief loans for business that closed before pandemic

2:04
Kevin Jonas undergoes surgery to remove common skin cancer; urges fans to get checked

Kevin Jonas undergoes surgery to remove common skin cancer; urges fans to get checked

1:43
Severe thunderstorms on Friday cause damage across New Jersey

Severe thunderstorms on Friday cause damage across New Jersey

1:02
Police: Armed suspect barricaded at Woodbridge gas station

Police: Armed suspect barricaded at Woodbridge gas station

0:53
New Jersey will soon see a stretch of 90-degree days. Here’s how to stay safe

New Jersey will soon see a stretch of 90-degree days. Here’s how to stay safe

0:38
Jersey Proud: Battleship New Jersey comes to Paulsboro this weekend before heading back to Camden

Jersey Proud: Battleship New Jersey comes to Paulsboro this weekend before heading back to Camden

2:01
Police in New Jersey say burglars are using Wi-Fi jammers to target homes. Here's what you need to know.

Police in New Jersey say burglars are using Wi-Fi jammers to target homes. Here's what you need to know.

1:05
Wyckoff native Kevin Jonas diagnosed with skin cancer

Wyckoff native Kevin Jonas diagnosed with skin cancer

0:31
NJ attorney general: Identities of officers, suspect in Woodbridge shootout released

NJ attorney general: Identities of officers, suspect in Woodbridge shootout released

0:24
Pulaski Skyway to close in both directions this weekend

Pulaski Skyway to close in both directions this weekend

1:13
Local veterans receive donated cars on Flag Day

Local veterans receive donated cars on Flag Day

2:13
Boating expert offers tips on how to stay safe on the water this summer

Boating expert offers tips on how to stay safe on the water this summer

1:52
Water service restored to Newark apartment buildings after days without service

Water service restored to Newark apartment buildings after days without service