Prosecutors: Discarded smoking material blamed for Lakewood fire that sent 3 to hospital

Authorities say the fire was most likely caused by discarded smoking material.

Lanette Espy

May 5, 2024, 10:40 PM

Updated 18 days ago

Share:

A fire in Lakewood that left three people hospitalized and destroyed a home was ruled accidental, Ocean County prosecutors announced on Sunday.
The blaze broke out Saturday at 1:20 a.m. on Joe Parker Road. Prosecutors say emergency personnel saw heavy fire coming from the front and back of the structure.
An investigation revealed that the fire originated underneath a screened-in deck attached to the structure. Authorities say the cause of the fire was accidental due to discarded smoking material.
According to prosecutors, a man was rescued from the structure by a Lakewood Township police officer. He was transported to Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune for treatment of his injuries. Authorities say he is listed in critical but stable condition.
Prosecutors say the police officer who rescued the man was transported to Monmouth Medical Center-Southern Campus in Lakewood where he was treated for smoke inhalation and released.
They say a firefighter was also hospitalized for a cardiac event. He was taken to Ocean University Medical Center in Brick Township and later released.


More from News 12