Comptroller designates 9 LI school districts in fiscal stress
State Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli designated nine Long Island school districts among 23 in fiscal stress.
“Fewer of New York’s school districts were scored as under fiscal stress in 2021, but the operational issues caused by the pandemic for all school districts were extreme,” DiNapoli said in a statement. “School districts must watch their finances closely as the pandemic continues, prices rise and staffing issues mount.”
Those districts are:
- Roosevelt Union Free School District
- Middle Country Central School District
- North Merrick Union Free School District
- South Huntington Union Free School District
- Three Village Central School District
- Bay Shore Union Free School District
- Greenport Union Free School District
- New Suffolk Common School District
- Hempstead Union Free School District
The districts were identified through the comptroller's Fiscal Stress Monitoring System looking at budgetary solvency and the ability to generate enough revenue to meet expenses, DiNapoli said.