Christmas tree catches on fire at Cherry Hill apartments

A Christmas tree caught fire Thursday and damaged an apartment in Cherry Hill. Fire officials say the live tree was not watered properly and it was too close to a heater.
There were no injuries due to the fire. Fire officials say when they arrived at the scene, the resident had already put the fire out with a fire extinguisher.
The Cherry Hill Fire Department posted a reminder on social media on how to help prevent Christmas tree fires:
  • Give live Christmas trees a fresh cut.
  • Water your Christmas tree daily.
  • Use approved Christmas tree lights and connect them properly.
  • Inspect lights and other powered decorations.
  • Choose your Christmas tree's location carefully, not near any heating devices.
  • Keep candles away from the tree.