Christmas tree catches on fire at Cherry Hill apartments
A Christmas tree caught fire Thursday and damaged an apartment in Cherry Hill. Fire officials say the live tree was not watered properly and it was too close to a heater.
There were no injuries due to the fire. Fire officials say when they arrived at the scene, the resident had already put the fire out with a fire extinguisher.
The Cherry Hill Fire Department posted a reminder on social media on how to help prevent Christmas tree fires:
- Give live Christmas trees a fresh cut.
- Water your Christmas tree daily.
- Use approved Christmas tree lights and connect them properly.
- Inspect lights and other powered decorations.
- Choose your Christmas tree's location carefully, not near any heating devices.
- Keep candles away from the tree.