Christmas fire ruins holidays at Chatham complex

Dozens of Chatham residents escaped with only their clothes on their backs after a devastating fire tore through an apartment complex Christmas night. The blaze broke out around 9:30 p.m. Thursday at

News 12 Staff

Dec 26, 2008, 11:38 PM

Updated 5,685 days ago

Share:

Dozens of Chatham residents escaped with only their clothes on their backs after a devastating fire tore through an apartment complex Christmas night.
The blaze broke out around 9:30 p.m. Thursday at the Chatham Hill Apartments. Police say everyone was safely evacuated from the 30-unit building.
"I don't think that anybody had to go to the hospital, which is truly a gift from God," says resident Susan Cote.
Ten units were destroyed by the fast-moving fire. Firefighters battled the flames into early Friday morning before it was finally put out.
Red Cross volunteers came to provide cots, blankets and medication to families in need of assistance. Building management has assured displaced residents they will be temporarily housed in empty apartments at the complex.
The fire is under investigation, according to Chatham police.


More from News 12