Authorities: 1 injured in large commercial kitchen fire in Linden

At least one person was hurt when a fire broke out at a commercial kitchen in Linden on Tuesday morning.
The incident began in a commercial kitchen for ShopRite supermarkets that focuses on processing deli meat.
Firefighters on the building's roof and overhead in extended ladders had to work for hours in bitterly cold conditions that caused surrounding roadways to freeze. Nearly an entire side of the building is unsalvageable due to the damage the fire caused.
“I came to the window, and I saw flames – huge flames. A lot of smoke and I saw firemen shooting water,” says Julia Rodriquez, who lives across the street.
She says that she was woken up by all of the commotion.
“It’s scary,” she says.
The fire started just after midnight.
“There were workers in the building, and they noticed some fire and smoke coming out of one of the vents. They tried to extinguish it,” says Chief Bill Hasko.
One worker was treated for smoke inhalation and taken to a hospital. That worker is expected to be OK.
A spokesperson for ShopRite said in a statement that the company is thankful that all associates were safely evacuated - and was grateful for the work of the local departments.
Fire crews were cleared from the area around 2 p.m. The roads that were closed in the area have since been reopened.