Officials: Electrical fault or lithium battery linked as possible cause of Plainfield apartment fire
Several families in Plainfield remain displaced after a morning fire on Monday erupted at an apartment complex fire.
According to the city, investigators believe an electrical fault or a lithium battery may have been the cause of the fire.
The American Red Cross says there were at least seven to nine apartments in the complex that were badly damaged that left about 30 people displaced. Fifteen people were brought to the hospital. There is no word yet on their injuries.
The city says 35 of the 42 families impacted Monday have returned inside the building. However, there are a few still unable to go back to their units.
RELATED: Fire displaces dozens of people at Plainfield apartment building with maintenance violations
The building on West Seventh Avenue is owned by Cyclone Investments, a company that has a history of problems in the city. Nearby tenants were forced to move out in August when building 501, located just next door, was condemned due to multiple violations issued by the city.
A community activist told News 12 New Jersey that some families affected by Monday's fire may be moved to a nearby building on Kensington Avenue which is owned by the same company.
The Red Cross is assisting the remaining displaced families with immediate shelter needs.