Officials: 4 middle school students taken to hospital for ingesting marijuana gummies

The incident happened at Phifer Middle School in Pennsauken.

Chris Keating

Feb 16, 2024, 10:37 PM

Updated 66 days ago

Share:

Four middle school students were rushed to the hospital after ingesting marijuana-infused gummies.
The students, who attend Phifer Middle School in Pennsauken, have recovered, according to school officials.
The superintendent says he believes the student who handed out the gummies was fully aware of what they were ingesting, but he’s not sure about the other three.
The New Jersey Poison Control Center says that last year, they answered 150 calls from parents whose children ingested marijuana products. The effects of cannabis on children under the age of 5 can be severe, health officials say. Officials say that often these children think they’re simply eating candy they find at home.
“We’ve had children that have had seizures. Little children that have had respiratory compromise,” says Bruce Ruck, of the New Jersey Poison Control Center at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School. “These are children who are getting into it by accident. And they often take a lot of it. Let’s be real - if one gummy is good, two are even better.”
Ruck says parents who keep edibles or marijuana in the house must keep it out of reach of the children.
“Parents have to keep things locked up, have to keep things away from little children and even the teenagers. They don’t always know what they’re getting,” Ruck says.
Pennsauken middle school students will have their bags examined for edibles along with other banned items such as vape pens and weapons, starting in September.
“We’re going to institute in September where students are checked as they walk in and this issue shouldn’t ever happen again,” says Superintendent Ronnie Tarchichi.
That type of examination is already happening at the Pennsauken high schools.
Police are looking into the matter at Phifer Middle School to find out exactly where the student got the edibles.


More from News 12