Fire tears through Brick assisted living facility
At least three people were hospitalized and dozens of residents were displaced when flames tore through a Brick assisted living facility Friday night.
Officials say the fire sparked on the fourth floor of Conway Towers shortly before 10:30 p.m.
Residents, many of them elderly, were forced out of their beds to evacuate, and emergency workers both fought the flames and helped people who couldn't help themselves.
Three people were hospitalized, one of them in critical condition. The other two were treated and released.
Dozens of residents were forced to spend the night in a temporary shelter.
Some residents were able to return to their apartments by Saturday evening, but officials say others will have to wait five to 10 days.
Authorities say they suspect the cause of the fire was the careless use of smoking materials.