Chef's Quick Tip: Okonomi on an Everything Everything Bagel
In today's Chef's Quick Tip, Chef Craig from Olmo in New Haven shows Tina Redwine his take on the okonomi or okonomiyaki on an olmo bagel.
- 1 each everything everything olmo bagel
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup shredded cabbage
- 2 local eggs
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon of japanese barbecue sauce (okonomi sauce - regular tangy barbecue sauce works well too)
- 1 tablespoon of furikake (rice seasoning - olmo everything spice works as a substitute)
- non-stick frying pan
- small metal mixing bowl
- rubber spatula
- bread knife
- Heat non-stick frying pan on medium heat with butter.
- Once butter is bubbling and sizzling, add in the shredded cabbage and let sit for 1 minute.
- Crack eggs into a mixing bowl and break the yolks with the rubber spatula, give a quick whisk with the spatula. The eggs should have ribbons of yolks and whites throughout the bowl.
- Season egg mixture with salt and pepper.
- Lay the mixed eggs over the cabbage and let stand for another minute. Do not touch the eggs once in the pan.
- Using a quick wrist flip or the rubber spatula, flip the eggs to the other side and let cook for another minute.
- While the eggs finish, slice open bagel. (if toasting the bagel, do this step earlier)
- Slide the omelet over the bottom half of the bagel.
- Fold the omelet in half twice if you have a large frying pan. This will help the eggs not fall out the side of the bagel.
- Top with okonomi sauce and furikake and eat!