Toll of Commuting
News12 New York
Where to Watch
Download the App
Local
Crime
Weather
beWell
The East End
Crime Files
FIFA World Cup
Trump Department of War

Iran talks stumble as Tehran’s top diplomat leaves Pakistan and Trump says he told envoys not to go

The latest ceasefire talks between the United States and Iran appeared to fail Saturday before they began, as Tehran’s top diplomat left Pakistan and President Donald Trump soon afterward said he had told envoys not to travel to Islamabad.

Associated Press

Apr 25, 2026, 1:11 PM

Updated

Share:

More Stories

The latest ceasefire talks between the United States and Iran appeared to fail Saturday before they began, as Tehran’s top diplomat left Pakistan and President Donald Trump soon afterward said he had told envoys not to travel to Islamabad.

The negotiations were meant to follow up on historic face-to-face talks earlier this month between the U.S., led by Vice President JD Vance, and Iran, led by parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf. But Iranian officials have questioned how they can trust the U.S. after its forces started blockading Iranian ports in response to Iran’s war grip on the Strait of Hormuz.

In announcing his decision Saturday, Trump told Fox News: “They can call us anytime they want.” The White House had said Friday that Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner would be going to Islamabad.

“Too much time wasted on traveling, too much work!” Trump later added on social media.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi left Pakistan on Saturday evening, two Pakistani officials told The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media.

“Shared Iran’s position concerning workable framework to permanently end the war on Iran. Have yet to see if the U.S. is truly serious about diplomacy,” Araghchi later said on social media.

Araghchi had met with Army Chief Field Marshal Asim Munir and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif about what he called Iran’s red lines for negotiations. He said Tehran would engage with Pakistan’s mediation efforts “until a result is achieved.”

The open-ended ceasefire has paused most fighting, but the economic fallout grows with global shipments of oil, liquefied natural gas, fertilizer and other supplies disrupted by the near-closure of the Strait of Hormuz.

Iran had said any talks would be indirect

Pakistan has been trying to get U.S. and Iran back to the table since Trump this week announced an indefinite extension of the ceasefire, honoring Islamabad’s request for more diplomatic outreach.

Even before Saturday’s developments, Iran’s foreign ministry said any talks would be indirect and that Pakistani officials would convey messages. Tehran also noted that indirect talks with the U.S. last year and early this year over Tehran’s nuclear program, the issue long at the heart of tensions, ended with it being attacked by the U.S. and Israel, adding to its wariness.

The first round of talks in Pakistan lasted over 20 hours, the highest-level direct talks between the longtime adversaries since the Islamic Revolution in 1979.

Araghchi and Trump’s envoys held hours of indirect talks in Geneva on Feb. 27 but walked away without a deal. The next day, Israel and the United States started the war.

The standoff around the strait continues

The price of Brent crude oil, the international standard, is still nearly 50% higher than when the war began because of Iran’s grip on the Strait of Hormuz, a strategic waterway through which a fifth of the world’s oil passes in peacetime.

Iran attacked three ships this week, while the U.S. maintains a blockade on Iranian ports. Trump has ordered the military to “shoot and kill” small boats that could be placing mines.

Germany’s Defense Minister Boris Pistorius said Saturday his country was sending minesweeper ships to the Mediterranean to help remove Iranian mines from the Strait of Hormuz once hostilities end.

The squeeze on shipments through the strait has rippled through global maritime trade, including through the Panama Canal nearly halfway around the world.

Also Saturday, Iran resumed commercial flights from Tehran’s international airport for the first time since the war began with U.S. and Israeli strikes two months ago. Flights were scheduled to depart for Istanbul, Oman’s capital of Muscat and the Saudi city of Medina, according to Iran’s state-run television.

A growing toll even as ceasefires hold

Since the war began, authorities say at least 3,375 people have been killed in Iran and at least 2,496 people in Lebanon, where new fighting between Israel and the Iran-backed militant group Hezbollah broke out two days after the Iran war started.

Additionally, 23 people have been killed in Israel and more than a dozen in Gulf Arab states. Fifteen Israeli soldiers in Lebanon, 13 U.S. service members in the region and six members of the U.N. peacekeeping force in southern Lebanon have been killed.

Trump announced Thursday that Israel and Lebanon had agreed to extend a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah by three weeks. Hezbollah has not participated in the Washington-brokered diplomacy.

More Stories

Top Stories

Jason Mutschler

Hainesport man charged in deadly stabbing of aunt at Lumberton apartment complex

01:40
CX Headlines 7

Couple more rounds of rain before a sunny warm up for the Garden State

AP26144405873510

Suspect dead after opening fire near White House security checkpoint, Secret Service says

Screenshot 2026-05-23 155940

New Jersey man found dead in Mercer County jail after being ruled legally insane in brother’s killing

00:53
3c740c7b-b5e3-4f1d-b9e3-8afd51c5145c

Paterson native Fetty Wap returns to the spotlight with an upcoming tour, new music, and a purpose beyond the stage

01:10
KoreanWarHeroVS_2026-05-24-17-12-05

Kearny hero killed in Korean War receives long-overdue silver star recognition

01:56
JerseyShoreFoodTruckFestival_2026-05-24-17-20-46

Jersey Shore Food Truck Festival presses on despite rainy Memorial Day weekend

01:56
NJLUPUSAWARENESS052410P_2026-05-24-14-50-25

Paterson mom living with lupus turns diagnosis into message of hope

02:23
RTNJSeasideMemorialDayWeekendJFord10pm_2026-05-23-22-16-53

Rain doesn’t stop Memorial Day weekend visitors at Seaside Heights

01:59
LongBranchBeachPKG_2026-05-23-17-05-22

Strong police presence planned for Memorial Day weekend at Long Branch boardwalk after Pier Village fights

motorcyclecrash

Route 46 motorcycle accident leaves driver with serious injuries

GenericPOLICE

Worker killed in industrial accident in Newark

00:37
fifaworldcup-metlife

Sign above MetLife Stadium to lead with "New Jersey," governor says

00:16
Treshawn Daniels Blur

Prosecutor seeks 18-year-old wanted in connection with double fatal shooting

01:04
Screenshot 2026-05-22 171909

Belleville students protest budget cuts that will cost teachers jobs

00:35
Screenshot 2026-05-22 175508

1 person dead, 30 injured following shipyard explosion on Staten Island

00:55
MEM DAY PLAN B TN RAW

Chilly, wet weather could dampen Memorial Day weekend plans at the Jersey Shore

00:39
prison bars generic

NJ man charged with impersonating officer, attempted kidnapping

AP26141697300440

Trump administration rule to force foreigners in the US to apply for a green card abroad

Samuel Omitiran Blur

NY man exposed himself to shoppers at NJ Old Navy, police say

App StoreGoogle Play Store

info

Newsletter

Send Photos/Videos

Contact

About Us

News Team

News 12 New York

follow us

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

more resources

Optimum Corporate

Optimum Service

Advertise on News 12

Careers

Content Removal Policy

© 2026 N12N, LLC

Privacy Policy

Terms of Service

Ad Choices