What's Cooking: Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace's eggplant parm
Chef Giovanni Farruggio, of Uncle Giuseppe's Marketplace, shows News 12's Lily Stolzberg how to make eggplant parm.
Ingredients for the breaded eggplant:
• 2 large eggplant, peeled and sliced lengthwise
• ¾ cup flour (seasoned with salt and pepper)
• 4 eggs (scrambled)
• 2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
• 1 qt neutral oil (vegetable or canola)
• salt to taste
Ingredients for the eggplant parm:
• 1.5 QT Uncle Giuseppe’s Marinara Sauce
• 2 cups Uncle Giuseppe’s Shredded Mozzarella
• ½ cup grated Pecorino Romano
• ¼ bunch chopped parsley
Directions for the breaded eggplant:
• Preheat a large sauce pan with oil on medium high heat.
• Prepare breading station, flour, eggs and bread crumbs.
• Dredge sliced eggplant in seasoned flour, then egg wash, then bread crumbs.
• Place breaded eggplant carefully away from you in hot oil.
• Fry for 1-2 minutes on each side. Once eggplant are browned remove from oil, set on a cooling rack, season with salt. Set aside.
Directions for the eggplant parm:
• Using a large casserole pan, place marinara sauce, enough to coat the bottom.
• Place layer of eggplant over marinara sauce.
• Add marinara over layered eggplant.
• Cover layer with grated Pecorino and mozzarella.
• Repeat until you have formed 3 layers.
• Top final layer with marinara, Pecorino and mozzarella.
• Place in 350*F oven for 30- 45 minutes. turn halfway.
• Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.