MTA CEO says New Jersey will get cut of congestion pricing money; Gottheimer continues vow to stop congestion pricing

New Jersey filed a lawsuit to stop congestion pricing, calling it a “cash grab” that will only create more pollution and congestion in Bergen and Hudson counties.

Ali Reid

Apr 17, 2024, 9:38 PM

Updated 38 days ago

Share:

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s congestion pricing plan is only a few months away from being implemented, much to the chagrin of New Jersey commuters and lawmakers.
MTA chairman and CEO Janno Liber said Wednesday that the Garden State is expected to get a cut of some of the fees.
The specifics on how much money the state will receive or where it will be allocated are still unknown as of Wednesday - but it's believed key counties like Hudson and Bergen will benefit.
Local politicians and advocacy groups are weighing in on the news.
"What was said [Wednesday] is nothing new," said Rep. Josh Gottheimer. "Basically, the last months they had been kicking around the idea that they would throw some crumbs to New Jersey."
He says it doesn't deal with the larger issue at hand. "It's still $15 a day or more that they wanna whack hard-working families who commute into New York or drive into New York every day," said Gottheimer.
Policy analyst Alex Ambrose, of New Jersey Policy Perspective, says it's good news that New Jersey will receive some revenue from the plan because transit is a regional issue.
"Congestion pricing might not be a popular policy, but it is an effective way to reduce traffic and reduce air pollution. The best thing New Jersey can do is not to fight them in court, but to fully fund NJ transit for the first time ever," said Ambrose.
Gov. Phil Murphy has called the plan a blatant cash grab-- yet as of now, is still on. His office declined to comment on these latest developments until more details are announced.
Commuters entering Manhattan below 61st Street will be charged an additional $15 once congestion pricing goes into effect on June 15.
"We are going to keep fighting, we aren't going to back down," said Gottheimer.
All 110 toll readers have been installed across the city as the agency moves toward the June 15 start date.
Federal judges could potentially delay plans, but the MTA expects any legal challenges to fail.


More from News 12