Residents in Keyport are raising concerns that decades of pollution may be linked to a possible cancer cluster along First Street, specifically near the former landfill located at the Aeromarine Industrial Park.
The issue has been discussed at previous borough meetings, and on Sunday the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) held a community meeting alongside the state Department of Health to address ongoing concerns and answer questions from the public.
The meeting drew a crowd as residents shared fears fueled in part by maps circulating online. One map, created by a Keyport local, depicts and shows residents reportedly diagnosed with cancer, which some believe may be connected to long-standing pollution worries in the area. While the connection has not been formally confirmed, the images and concerns prompted many residents to attend the meeting and speak out.
NJDEP Acting Commissioner Ed Potosnak said the agency’s goal aligns with that of residents.
“The ultimate goal for us is the same as your goal, and it’s to ensure that the Keyport Sanitary Landfill, known as Aeromarine, is properly closed and that there are no public health risks associated with that site,” Potosnak said.
Potosnak explained that he conducted a site visit a couple of weeks ago with others and the current owner of the property. He said Sunday’s meeting was focused on listening to community concerns.
According to the DEP, the most recent data from the site comes from a 2010 DEP study. New efforts began last month, including additional environmental testing.
“The DEP issued a permit for the environmental testing of the landfill, including soil, groundwater, soil gas and geotechnical investigations to be completed by the prospective buyer as part of the sale. As I mentioned, we’ll be doing our own testing,” Potosnak said.
DEP Chief Strategy Officer Kati Angarone said the agency is focused on identifying potential ways residents could be exposed to contamination.
“At the heart of what we’re doing now and what we have done in the past at this site is really determining if there are any exposure pathways,” Angarone said.
When it comes to drinking water as a possible pathway of exposure, Angarone said the state has confidence in current standards and monitoring.
“New Jersey has some of the most strict drinking water standards in the nation. As the commissioner noted, the Borough of Keyport water department is serving drinking water that is routinely monitored and meets strict water standards,” she said.
Angarone added that new soil, groundwater, and soil gas sampling is scheduled for later this month, with results expected about three weeks after the samples are collected.
Several residents shared emotional testimony during the meeting, including one who spoke about the number of cancer cases she believes are connected to the area.
“When I heard about the story, I told my sister and she said to me 18 people that she knows had cancer and passed away,” the resident said.
Another resident questioned whether the public should trust the current situation.
“Why should the public trust the same systems and same players that failed to resolve these concerns the first time,” the resident said.
State officials say residents with environmental concerns or questions about the site during the sampling process can contact the NJDEP Division of Solid Waste Management.