STORM WATCH

Severe storms are rounding out Memorial Day weather. Heavy rain, strong winds, hail all possible.

Protesters rally at Liberty State Park over preserving Caven Point

Protesters rallied at Liberty State Park Saturday over preserving Caven Point, a migratory bird habitat.

News 12 Staff

Jan 11, 2020, 2:19 PM

Updated 1,598 days ago

Share:

Protesters rallied at Liberty State Park Saturday over preserving Caven Point, a migratory bird habitat.
It is considered too fragile of a habitat for normal parkgoers to access.
Organizers say private developers are hoping to push into the 22 acres of the area to expand the 18-hole Liberty National Golf Course, bringing it closer to the city for more PGA events.
Their goal is to move three existing golf holes onto Caven Point. Since 2006, the golf course has made several attempts to acquire the land.
A spokesperson from the Liberty National Golf Club says, "We support protecting, forever, 99% of Liberty State Park while making private investments to make the park even more attractive for local residents. The remaining 1% of the park - currently a contaminated area at Caven Point - can undergo an environmental cleanup and remain green space through light recreational use of three golf holes that will incorporate habitat and wildlife protections."
This is not the first time the 1-acre Caven Point has been a point of interest. It was purchased and added to the park in 1977 and since, there have been other attempts to acquire the land.
A vote on the proposal in the state Legislature is expected early next week. Groups are asking for the vote to be postponed until the Liberty State Park Protection Act is amended to protect 99% of the park.


More from News 12