Heat advisory continues in New Jersey as highs approach near 100 degrees

Prosecutor: Child killed in early morning house fire; 3 other people injured

An early morning house fire in Somerset County left one child dead and three other people injured.

News 12 Staff

Dec 10, 2021, 2:34 PM

Updated 923 days ago


An early morning house fire in Somerset County left one child dead and three other people injured.
The county prosecutor says multiple 911 calls were made around 2:10 a.m. Friday for a fire at a home on Eastern Avenue in Somerville.
The prosecutor says arriving officers found two adults and a 9-year-old child, all with injuries, who had escaped the fire. Firefighters were also told that a second child was still trapped inside the house.
The fire was too intense for officers to get in the home, according to the prosecutor.
Firefighters arrived shortly later. The Somerville assistant fire chief also tried to get into the house but was unable to. When the fire trucks arrived, the prosecutor says that the assistant chief and other firefighters were finally able to get into the home.
Firefighters found an unresponsive 8-year-old girl on the second floor of the home. They took her outside, and she was pronounced dead at the scene.
The fire was eventually extinguished.
The prosecutors say that the two adults and the surviving child were taken to the hospital to be treated for burns and other injuries. The two adults are in stable condition. The 9-year-old was taken to a burn trauma center and is in critical but stable condition.
“I’m deeply saddened by the tragedy that unfolded early this morning,” Somerville Mayor Dennis Sullivan wrote in a statement. “I’m asking the Somerville community to please keep this family in your thoughts and prayers.”
Mental health support will be provided at Van Derveer Elementary School for students and staff.
The prosecutor says that the cause and origin of the fire are under investigation.
The name of the family was not officially released, but neighbors say that the 8-year-old girl was named Cecelia.
“She was a young little girl in the prime of her life. Nobody wants to deal with death and now her parents have to deal with that and their other child in the hospital,” says Gori Carfora.
A GoFundMe page set up for the family has already raised more than $100,000 and is growing.
All three survivors are being treated at the St. Barnabas Burn Unit.

More from News 12