It’s time to deck the halls! Make your holiday displays safe and efficient with these 12 tips
It’s time to deck the halls! But use caution.
Below find tips from JCP&L to ensure that your outdoor and indoor holiday displays are safe and efficient:
1. Do not install outdoor lights, inflatables or other decorations under or near any power lines.
2. Check all light strands for frayed wires or areas where insulation has pulled away from plugs or sockets (and discard any damaged strands).
3. Use only lights and extension cords that are rated for outdoor use (they will have the UL logo on the tag).
4. Place all light displays on a timer that shuts them off in the middle of the night or turn them off before going to bed to manage electricity use.
5. Replace older incandescent strands with newer LED bulbs – not only do they use far less electricity, but they last a lot longer and you can plug up to 30 strands continuously (as opposed to 3 incandescent strands).
6. Do not hammer tacks or nails into electrical cords when hanging lights.
7. Plug all outdoor lights and decorations into outlets that are protected by ground fault interrupters.
8. Check all light strands for frayed wires or areas where insulation has pulled away from plugs or sockets (and discard any damaged strands).
9. Replace traditional candles with flame-free options (such as battery-operated candles).
10. No more than 3 strands of standard indoor lights should be plugged into a single extension cord.
11. Make sure cords are placed where they won’t be stepped on, kinked or pose a tripping hazard.
12. Lights should not touch drapes, furniture or carpeting, and should be turned off overnight.