Football season saved for Asbury Park High School after eligibility issues resolved

The Asbury Park High School football season has been saved after issues of player eligibility were resolved.

News 12 Staff

Sep 8, 2022, 12:02 AM

Updated 648 days ago

Share:

The Asbury Park High School football season has been saved after issues of player eligibility were resolved.
The team had to forfeit last week when it was discovered that many players were not eligible to play. Eligibility can depend on a student's grades, their home address and their age.
Asbury Park Superintendent Rashawn Adams says after taking a closer look at the students and updating their credits, it turned out that more players are qualified to play.
He held a news conference Wednesday where he announced that the team will have 18 players eligible this week.
Adams says when he first heard of the issues last Friday, he had to make the call to bail on the season opener out of precaution.
"Me knowing and sending players to participate in the game and when they weren't eligible and, God forbid they got hurt, then we're talking injury eligibility,” he says.
Adams says the school is reviewing what happened to make sure nothing slips through the cracks again.
Still, there are other students that are still ineligible, and not just for football. Adams says he values sports, but the main goal is to put kids on a path to graduate.


More from News 12