Bronx residents urged to use caution when using space heaters in homes

Home heating costs are on the rise and many Bronx residents are looking for alternate ways to heat their homes. Space heaters are a popular alternative to boilers, but officials from the Red Cross say

News 12 Staff

Jan 3, 2006, 4:03 PM

Updated 6,682 days ago

Share:

Bronx residents urged to use caution when using space heaters in homes
Home heating costs are on the rise and many Bronx residents are looking for alternate ways to heat their homes. Space heaters are a popular alternative to boilers, but officials from the Red Cross say they're also the leading cause of residential fires. Portable and fixed space heaters caused more than 10,000 fires and nearly 200 deaths last year, according to the U.S. Product and Safety Commission. The Red Cross advises residents to place heaters at least three feet from wallpaper, bedding, clothing, pets and people. They say never leave a space heater operating when you leave the room or go to bed. Finally, never use space heaters to dry anything.


More from News 12
0:25
Police: Pedestrian fatally struck by car in Gloucester Township

Police: Pedestrian fatally struck by car in Gloucester Township

1:37
Rain, clouds followed by mild temps and clearer skies in New Jersey

Rain, clouds followed by mild temps and clearer skies in New Jersey

0:25
Camden County rabbi convicted of hiring men to kill his wife dies in prison

Camden County rabbi convicted of hiring men to kill his wife dies in prison

0:13
Authorities: Kenilworth man sentenced to 10 years in prison for selling cocaine

Authorities: Kenilworth man sentenced to 10 years in prison for selling cocaine

0:15
Authorities: Berkley Township man sentenced to 20 years in prison for fatal stabbing

Authorities: Berkley Township man sentenced to 20 years in prison for fatal stabbing

0:28
Man who set himself on fire outside Trump trial dies of injuries, police say

Man who set himself on fire outside Trump trial dies of injuries, police say

1:13
CDC: Children ER visits increased last 3 years for accidental Melatonin ingestion

CDC: Children ER visits increased last 3 years for accidental Melatonin ingestion

1:42
Police: Marlboro teacher accused of inappropriately touching student faces charges

Police: Marlboro teacher accused of inappropriately touching student faces charges

0:32
Man who lit himself on fire outside Trump trial has ties to New Jersey

Man who lit himself on fire outside Trump trial has ties to New Jersey

0:56
Graffiti of former Palestinian militant Leila Khaled found spray-painted at Rutgers University

Graffiti of former Palestinian militant Leila Khaled found spray-painted at Rutgers University

0:09
Police: 2 men critically injured in Newark shooting

Police: 2 men critically injured in Newark shooting

2:16
Public warned to keep their dogs away from seals at the Jersey Shore

Public warned to keep their dogs away from seals at the Jersey Shore

0:59
Jersey Proud: 3 men running the length of New Jersey for ‘Dylan’s Wings of Change’ charity

Jersey Proud: 3 men running the length of New Jersey for ‘Dylan’s Wings of Change’ charity

0:35
Tesla recalling nearly 4,000 Cybertrucks because accelerator pedal can get stuck

Tesla recalling nearly 4,000 Cybertrucks because accelerator pedal can get stuck

1:01
New Jersey water companies make plans to adapt federal ‘forever chemical’ guidelines

New Jersey water companies make plans to adapt federal ‘forever chemical’ guidelines

1:54
Authorities: 2 children at Port Reading school become sickened after ingesting marijuana gummies

Authorities: 2 children at Port Reading school become sickened after ingesting marijuana gummies

2:45
Business owners say they are losing business due to Route 71 bridge being stuck in up position

Business owners say they are losing business due to Route 71 bridge being stuck in up position

1:42
Prosecutor: Remains found at Wall construction site were of ‘advanced age’

Prosecutor: Remains found at Wall construction site were of ‘advanced age’

0:27
Prosecutors: Atlantic City’s Central Pier bursts into flames; 1 man dead

Prosecutors: Atlantic City’s Central Pier bursts into flames; 1 man dead

0:25
Boil water advisory issued for parts of Monmouth County

Boil water advisory issued for parts of Monmouth County