Coastal Flood WATCH in effect for:
Wind ADVISORY in effect for:
Special Weather STATEMENT in effect for:
Areas of New Jersey expected to feel Dorian impacts FridayPosted: Updated:
Areas of southern New Jersey are expected to feel impacts of Hurricane Dorian by Friday when the storm passes south and east of the state.
Fringe effects from the storm may include, rain, gusty winds and beach erosion. Rough surf is also to be expected, with waves at the Jersey Shores possibly reaching 10 feet.
Lifeguards in Brigantine started to prepare the beach Wednesday by removing lifeguard stands and moving boats onto higher grounds.
Officials in Margate says that the main concern is street flooding. Crews filled sandbags at the Public Works Department just in case they're needed.
Margate has a history of what they call “sunny day flooding,” where the low-lying areas end up under water even without a storm.
Margate City OEM Coordinator Chuck LaBarre tells News 12 New Jersey that even though the storm is passing well offshore, it's a reminder of what can happen during hurricane season.
"Know your resources, stay a little closer prepared to weather forecasting,” LaBarre says. “It is hurricane peak, Sept. 10. It should put people a little more on notice and aware of the weather, especially if you don't live in Margate year-round - if people want to keep an eye on their second homes."
Lifeguards are also warning beachgoers to stay out of the water this weekend.
- Saturday, Nov. 16, will mark two months since a 5-year-old girl went missing in Cumberland County.Saturday, Nov. 16, will mark two months since a 5-year-old girl went missing in Cumberland County.
- State Sen. Loretta Weinberg says that Gov. Phil Murphy may be releasing campaign workers from their nondisclosure agreements.
- A drive-thru Christmas light display opened for the season Friday night in Sussex County.A drive-thru Christmas light display opened for the season Friday night in Sussex County.
- Heads up the next time you want to warm up your car before you get going in the morning – it could land you a $250 fine.
- Here are some of the top-trending stories that News 12 New Jersey viewers were watching this week.Here are some of the top-trending stories that News 12 New Jersey viewers were watching this week.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Photos from the public congressional hearings as part of the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump and his administration's dealings with Ukraine.
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury