Coastal Flood WATCH in effect for:
Wind ADVISORY in effect for:
Special Weather STATEMENT in effect for:
Volunteers from New Jersey head down to Bahamas to help hurricane victimsPosted: Updated:
Volunteers from New Jersey are heading down to the Bahamas to help storm victims of Hurricane Dorian.
Sixteen members who work for Empact Northwest, all with various backgrounds, boarded a United Airlines plane to assist those in need.
Empact Northwest workers and volunteers have traveled the world helping those in need, but can't do so without donations and travel assistance.
In this case, United Airlines and an organization called Airlink stepped up to help.
"Airlink is a nonprofit that works to coordinate the donated miles from the airlines to get us there and United has very generously donated all the miles and services to get us where we need to be," says Jake Gillanders, Empact Northwest Executive Director.
Olivia Weeks is a registered nurse in Seattle, who grew up in New Vernon, Morris County.
She's volunteering for the first time in her career and believes she's prepared for whatever they encounter.
"With Empact, we do drills every month a lot of training so I actually do feel very prepared,” says Weeks.
The K-9s going to assist the members have very unique travel plans, and were not in Newark.
Click here if you would like to make a donation to the Empact Northwest relief effort in the Bahamas.
- Saturday, Nov. 16, will mark two months since a 5-year-old girl went missing in Cumberland County.Saturday, Nov. 16, will mark two months since a 5-year-old girl went missing in Cumberland County.
- State Sen. Loretta Weinberg says that Gov. Phil Murphy may be releasing campaign workers from their nondisclosure agreements.
- A drive-thru Christmas light display opened for the season Friday night in Sussex County.A drive-thru Christmas light display opened for the season Friday night in Sussex County.
- Heads up the next time you want to warm up your car before you get going in the morning – it could land you a $250 fine.
- It was 100 years ago this week that the Marconi Wireless Company of America officially became the Radio Corporation of America, or RCA.It was 100 years ago this week that the Marconi Wireless Company of America officially became the Radio Corporation of America, or RCA.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Photos from the public congressional hearings as part of the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump and his administration's dealings with Ukraine.
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury