Gov. Phil Murphy gives update on state’s response to winter stormPosted: Updated:
Gov. Phil Murphy spoke to News 12 New Jersey about the state's response to Tuesday's winter storm.
Murphy called in to News 12 New Jersey’s studios Tuesday evening. He previously spoke to the media at the New Jersey Turnpike Authority’s Traffic Management and Technology Center in Woodbridge.
A winter storm system brought snow, sleet and rain through the Garden State, causing messy road conditions.
Murphy said that declaring a state of emergency for New Jersey early on allowed road crews to preposition themselves in areas that would need salting and plowing. The governor said that there were over 2,000 pieces of road equipment out on state roads spreading salt and plowing away snow as need be.
But Murphy said that the worst could still come by Tuesday night as the rain turns to ice. He says that it could lead to dangerous road conditions and power outages.
“We got ahead of it, but we’re not out of the woods just yet,” Murphy said.
New Jersey State Police responded to about 500 traffic accidents on the roadways that they patrolled as of Tuesday evening, according to the governor. Murphy said that he himself witnesses several car accidents involving single vehicles that spun out on the roads. Drivers are urged to use caution and obey speed restrictions in order to stay safe.
A commercial vehicle travel ban remained in effect on the state’s interstate roadways Tuesday evening.
Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A woman driving her car in a parking lot hit the gas pedal instead of the brakes slammed into a 7-Eleven in Roselle – leaving behind a ton of damage.
- Hundreds of layoffs projected for the Jersey City School System may now be off the table, according to an announcement made by Mayor Steven Fulop.
- A school crossing guard in Cranford is out of the hospital after being struck by a driver while stopping traffic for a student.
- Police in Hackettstown say a woman charged with a DWI asked her friend to pick her up from the police station, and turns out, the friend was charged with a DWI as well.
- Three men have been arrested following an armed home invasion in Oakland where a homeowner was held at gunpoint.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Fleet Week New York started May 22. This year marks the 31st annual event that features a week filled of activities, themed events and live demonstrations.
- Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!
- Here are the photos of the guests who visited the News 12 studio to showcase the great eats New Jersey trucks have to offer!
- The Rockland-Bergen Music Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.The Rockland-Bergen Music Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.