Hundreds of flights at area airports canceled due to winter stormPosted: Updated:
Hundreds of flights were canceled at area airports Tuesday due to the winter storm.
Over 700 flights were canceled between LaGuardia and JFK airports in New York. Newark Liberty International Airport saw nearly 200 flights canceled Tuesday.
In addition to the cancellations, there were also many delayed flights as snow, rain and sleet fell across New Jersey.
But despite the traveling mess, many people at the Newark airport told News 12 New Jersey that it wasn’t all so bad.
“I checked it last night because I thought that it was going to be a lot worse, but it’s not bad at all,” said Russ Pitman of North Arlington.
“We just got a message on the phone saying ‘Your flight is delayed two hours,’” says Pennsylvania resident Rolly Wiltshire. “We got here early, so we got something to eat and we will just chill…we’re not bothered.”
The snow was expected to turn into mostly freezing rain by Tuesday evening. But flights could still face delays or cancellations.
Airline companies urge all travelers to get to the airport early and to check with their carrier about their flight status.
- After over two days of work, crews have repaired the 30-inch water main break in Hoboken and are now working on repaving Willow Avenue.After over two days of work, crews have repaired the 30-inch water main break in Hoboken and are now working on repaving Willow Avenue.
- A fallen tree on train tracks near the Newark Broad Street Station caused delays for New Jersey Transit.A fallen tree on train tracks near the Newark Broad Street Station caused delays for New Jersey Transit.
- It was a chaotic commute back to New Jersey Monday night after a power outage left train passengers stranded for hours.It was a chaotic commute back to New Jersey Monday night after a power outage left train passengers stranded for hours.
- News 12 New Jersey took an exclusive look at the PATH Train Control Center in Jersey City.News 12 New Jersey took an exclusive look at the PATH Train Control Center in Jersey City.
- New Jersey commuters could face two tolls instead of one due to congestion pricing.New Jersey commuters could face two tolls instead of one due to congestion pricing.
- Harvey Weinstein was convicted Monday at his sexual assault trial, sealing his dizzying fall from powerful Hollywood studio boss to archvillain of the #MeToo movement.
- Students and parents rallied again this morning to try and save Port Monmouth Elementary School in Middletown from potentially closing and consolidating with a nearby elementary school.
- Gov. Phil Murphy announced Saturday night that his doctors spotted a tumor on his kidney, and he is set to undergo a partial nephrectomy next month to remove it.
- A forest fire has broken out on the New Jersey side of Worthington State Forest, a popular hiking area that straddles the border with Pennsylvania.
- A Bloomberg report is out on the 100 richest towns in America, and 16 towns in New Jersey made the list.