BFFs for life: Cheetah bonds with therapy dog at New Jersey zooPosted: Updated:
It’s often been said that dogs and cats do not get along. But a unique friendship is being forged at one of New Jersey’s zoos between a cheetah and a yellow lab.
“It surprises a lot of people, but it’s acutely a very common practice now in many zoos,” says Turtle Back Zoo animal ambassador trainer Charlotte Trapman-O’Brien.
Bowie, the yellow lab, and Nandi, the cheetah, were paired together at the West Orange zoo when they were both just a few weeks old, over a year ago. Bowie serves as more than just a friend for Nandi – he is also an emotional support dog.
Animal experts say that female cheetahs are extremely shy and canine companions can keep them calm. The friendship allows Nandi to do important public education appearances about her species, which is listed as vulnerable.
“They’ve experienced a 90% population decline in just the last 20 years,” says Trapman-O’Brien. It’s hugely important for people to understand how fast they are racing toward extinction.”
The pair spend most of their time together. Bowie does get to come home at night to stay with his human family, while Nandi stays at the zoo.
“The most important thing for [Bowie] is to be calm in a huge variety of situations, so by going home with staff members, he gets to experience more things in the outside world to get comfortable with.,” Trapman-O’Brien says.
Bowie and Nandi will be paired together for life. Bowie weighs about 80 pounds right now, while Nandi weighs about 60. She is expected to grow to between 75 and 125 pounds.
Nandi is not yet on display at the zoo but does do educational appearances.
- Gov. Phil Murphy says New Jersey's death toll from the coronavirus is approaching 300 a day after the tally reached about 200.
- Latest updates - White House projects 100,000-240,000 deaths if social distancing is maintained, de Blasio gives update from Billie Jean King National Tennis Center and Gov. Murphy answers questions on News 12 New Jersey.
- These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.
White House projects 100K-240K US deaths from coronavirus pandemic if social distancing is maintainedTrump called on Americans to brace themselves for a "rough two-week period" but predicted the country would soon see a "light at the end of the tunnel" of the global catastrophe that has killed more than 3,500 Americans and infected 170,000 more.
- New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy answers your questions about the coronavirus outbreak in New Jersey.New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy answers your questions about the coronavirus outbreak in New Jersey.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- The 1,000-bed hospital ship will help ease the burden on local hospitals amid the coronavirus outbreak.
- From doctors and nurses to firefighters and police officers. From grocery store workers to news media and beyond. There are many who work hard to keep things running, keep us informed and keep us safe.
- There are no rainbows without rain, right? Well, one might say it's been pouring lately. But a strong and growing group on Long Island is spreading color and positivity with a rainbow movement.
- Whatever the reason is, News 12 wants to see photos of what you're doing to keep busy during the coronavirus pandemic.
- As people work from home and avoid large gatherings, areas that are normally packed with people have suddenly become nearly vacant.