BFFs for life: Cheetah bonds with therapy dog at New Jersey zooPosted: Updated:
It’s often been said that dogs and cats do not get along. But a unique friendship is being forged at one of New Jersey’s zoos between a cheetah and a yellow lab.
“It surprises a lot of people, but it’s acutely a very common practice now in many zoos,” says Turtle Back Zoo animal ambassador trainer Charlotte Trapman-O’Brien.
Bowie, the yellow lab, and Nandi, the cheetah, were paired together at the West Orange zoo when they were both just a few weeks old, over a year ago. Bowie serves as more than just a friend for Nandi – he is also an emotional support dog.
Animal experts say that female cheetahs are extremely shy and canine companions can keep them calm. The friendship allows Nandi to do important public education appearances about her species, which is listed as vulnerable.
“They’ve experienced a 90% population decline in just the last 20 years,” says Trapman-O’Brien. It’s hugely important for people to understand how fast they are racing toward extinction.”
The pair spend most of their time together. Bowie does get to come home at night to stay with his human family, while Nandi stays at the zoo.
“The most important thing for [Bowie] is to be calm in a huge variety of situations, so by going home with staff members, he gets to experience more things in the outside world to get comfortable with.,” Trapman-O’Brien says.
Bowie and Nandi will be paired together for life. Bowie weighs about 80 pounds right now, while Nandi weighs about 60. She is expected to grow to between 75 and 125 pounds.
Nandi is not yet on display at the zoo but does do educational appearances.
- A large fire destroyed a multifamily home in Passaic County and sent at least one person to the hospital.
- Three people were hospitalized after a school bus and two other vehicles collided in Bridgewater.Three people were hospitalized after a school bus and two other vehicles collided in Bridgewater.
- Authorities are awaiting autopsy results after police recovered the bodies of two newborns from a recycling center in Middlesex County.
- A car crash that killed an 18-year-old Warren Hills Regional High School student Wednesday night has been ruled a suicide, according to a report by LehighvalleyLive.com.
- Police in New Orleans say a woman was struck and killed by a parade float as the city celebrated Mardi Gras.Police in New Orleans say a woman was struck and killed by a parade float as the city celebrated Mardi Gras.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Send us photos of all of the pets you love!Send us photos of all of the pets you love!
- Baseball season is right around the corner, and the Mets have reported to their spring training facility. Take a look at some of the sights from Port St. Lucie, Florida.
- The Yankees have a World Series title on their mind in 2020, but it all begins with spring training. Take a look at some of the sights from Tampa, Florida.
- The NASCAR Daytona 500 auto race took place at Daytona International Speedway Feb. 17, in Daytona Beach, Fla.
- Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!