Wind ADVISORY in effect for:
Special Weather STATEMENT in effect for:
Police: Dogs that allegedly attacked 12 people have not been vaccinated for rabiesPosted: Updated:
Three dogs that allegedly terrorized an Ocean County neighborhood have apparently not been vaccinated against rabies, despite it being required by law.
Little Egg Harbor Police Chief Richard Buzby says that Esau Morales, the dogs’ owner, had maintained that the dogs had received their shots. But Buzby says that it was revealed in a court hearing on Friday that no vaccinations had been given.
Morales did not enter a plea during the hearing. The 26-year-old is charged with maintaining a nuisance and other counts.
Authorities say that Morales’ dogs have bitten at least 12 people in town. The latest dog attack occurred on Monday, when police said a 69-year-old woman and a 40-year-old man sustained multiple dog bites.
Video taken from a neighbor’s security camera shows one neighbor attempting to fight off the dogs with what appears to be a metal pole before police arrived. Six residents were bitten on Monday. There have been seven incidents overall.
Buzby says that it is believed that there are additional victims who have not reported the dog bites to the police. He is asking those people to come forward.
Morales could face fines and a potential 90-day county jail sentence if he is convicted.
The Associated Press wire services contributed to this report.
- The statewide total number of coronavirus cases in New Jersey now stands at 51,027 cases, after Gov. Phil Murphy just announced 3,748 new cases.
- Gov. Phil Murphy answers your questions about the COVID-19 outbreak in New Jersey in this special edition of "Ask Gov. Murphy."
- President Donald Trump called the testing operation in the U.S. “by far the most sophisticated and the best anywhere.”
- Whatever the reason is, News 12 wants to see photos of what you're doing to keep busy during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Latest updates - UFC 249 canceled, task force says more than 2 million tested in the U.S., 'SNL' to return with remote episode, and Connecticut delays schools reopening until May 20.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- This week's Super Pink Moon is the biggest full moon of 2020. Did you see it? Share your photos with us.
- These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.
- From doctors and nurses to firefighters and police officers. From grocery store workers to news media and beyond. There are many who work hard to keep things running, keep us informed and keep us safe.