Army wrestling team holds Senior Night at West Orange HS to honor fallen cadetPosted: Updated:
The West Point Army wrestling team held its Senior Night at West Orange High School to honor a cadet killed last year in a training exercise.
It has been seven months since Cadet Christopher "CJ" Morgan died. The West Orange native was on the Army wrestling team and also wrestled at West Orange High School. Morgan’s family says that they are still dealing with the tragedy.
“In some ways, we are mourning the loss still of CJ, and we're grieving and we're healing as a family,” says Chris Morgan, CJ’s father. “But in other ways, we are still very grateful for what we have going on.”
The Army wanted to hold its senior wrestling night at Morgan’s hometown school as a way to honor him.
“CJ Morgan is one of our seniors and even though he’s not here with us tonight physically, he’s been with us all season long. He’ll be with us the rest of our lives and we felt this was an appropriate way to honor his impact on our program,” says Army wrestling coach Kevin Ward.
West Orange High School officials quickly agreed, and once word got out, other local high schools rearranged their schedules to take part – including Caldwell High School, Seton Hall Prep and West Essex High School.
“This community and wrestling in this area is extremely loyal to one another and it was an easy thing to get this thing together,” says West Orange High School Athletic Director Ron Bligh.
The Morgans say that they feel all of the support and that they are overwhelmed by the love that others have for their son.
“He would love it. I think he’s somebody who would say, ‘Let’s embrace the moment. Let’s enjoy ourselves tonight. Let’s live life to the fullest and enjoy the time we have because it’s short. No days promised,’” says Chris Morgan.
Lehigh University defeated Army wrestling with a score of 24-9.
- A large fire destroyed a multifamily home in Passaic County and sent at least one person to the hospital.
- Three people were hospitalized after a school bus and two other vehicles collided in Bridgewater.Three people were hospitalized after a school bus and two other vehicles collided in Bridgewater.
- Authorities are awaiting autopsy results after police recovered the bodies of two newborns from a recycling center in Middlesex County.
- A car crash that killed an 18-year-old Warren Hills Regional High School student Wednesday night has been ruled a suicide, according to a report by LehighvalleyLive.com.
- Police in New Orleans say a woman was struck and killed by a parade float as the city celebrated Mardi Gras.Police in New Orleans say a woman was struck and killed by a parade float as the city celebrated Mardi Gras.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Send us photos of all of the pets you love!Send us photos of all of the pets you love!
- Baseball season is right around the corner, and the Mets have reported to their spring training facility. Take a look at some of the sights from Port St. Lucie, Florida.
- The Yankees have a World Series title on their mind in 2020, but it all begins with spring training. Take a look at some of the sights from Tampa, Florida.
- The NASCAR Daytona 500 auto race took place at Daytona International Speedway Feb. 17, in Daytona Beach, Fla.
- Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!