Authorities announce 2 arrested in deadly shooting on I-80 over the weekendPosted: Updated:
Law enforcement officials say that two men have been in connection with a deadly shooting on a highway in Bergen County over the weekend.
The county prosecutor’s office and the New Jersey Office of the Attorney General say that the three suspects followed victim Louis Perez from New York into New Jersey late Friday night into early Saturday morning.
Authorities say that it was just after midnight while Perez was traveling along Interstate 80 in Lodi that he was shot in the chest and neck. Front seat passenger Jose Mercade was badly injured. A third person in the back seat was not hurt and was able to call for help.
Officials say that they have charged Kenneth Regan, and Douglas Coudrey with the shooting. Both men are from Suffolk County, New York and allegedly followed Perez.
Authorities say that Perez knew his attackers and that the shooting was targeted.
“I think it is important for the public to know that we’ve brought to justice the individuals responsible. This was not a random killing,” Attorney General Gurbir Grewal says.
Officials say that police used surveillance video to track the men back to New York and make an arrest.
Regan and Coudrey were charged with murder and attempted murder. A third man, Robert Plunkett was allegedly with Regan and Coudrey when they were arrested and is facing unrelated weapons charges.
Editor’s Note: A previous version of this story incorrectly stated that Robert Plunkett was involved in the shooting.
- The owner of a Sussex County petting zoo has been indicted on several animal cruelty charges.The owner of a Sussex County petting zoo has been indicted on several animal cruelty charges.
- A Toms River man has been arrested for allegedly assaulting an elementary school employee.A Toms River man has been arrested for allegedly assaulting an elementary school employee.
- A Sayreville teacher has been arrested for alleged child pornography.A Sayreville teacher has been arrested for alleged child pornography.
- An Elizabeth man has been charged with reckless manslaughter in connection with a fatal stabbing that happened Friday night.
- A man was arrested in connection to a shooting outside a ShopRite in Newark, police say.A man was arrested in connection to a shooting outside a ShopRite in Newark, police say.
- Grief counselors are on hand today at Warren Hills Regional High School after the Superintendent of Schools announced the death of a student following a motor vehicle accident.
- Police in New Brunswick say the bodies of two newborns were recovered from a recycling center Wednesday, and police are now working to find out if the infants could be related.
- Check out some photos of the first look of the 'City Under the Sea' theme for the American Dream aquarium in East Rutherford.
- A Trans-Bridge Lines bus that caught on fire this morning, causing major traffic delays on I-78 eastbound in Union, is now out.
- A man who state police say brake-checked a school bus on the Garden State Parkway has been charged with reckless driving.A man who state police say brake-checked a school bus on the Garden State Parkway has been charged with reckless driving.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Send us photos us of all of the pets you love!Send us photos us of all of the pets you love!
- Baseball season is right around the corner, and the Mets have reported to their spring training facility. Take a look at some of the sights from Port St. Lucie, Florida.
- The Yankees have a World Series title on their mind in 2020, but it all begins with spring training. Take a look at some of the sights from Tampa, Florida.
- The NASCAR Daytona 500 auto race took place at Daytona International Speedway Feb. 17, in Daytona Beach, Fla.
- Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!