Police: Man accidentally shoots, critically injures himself in HackensackPosted: Updated:
Authorities say a man from Hackensack accidentally shot and critically injured himself when he put his .45-caliber handgun on a nightstand in his home and it discharged.
According to police, the 57-year-old man was about to go to sleep Wednesday around 12:20 a.m. when the shooting occurred.
Police say his wife called 911 and emergency responders found the man had been shot in the abdomen, causing undisclosed injuries to his internal organs.
The man's name has not been released.
Authorities say the shooting did not appear to be suspicious and they don't believe foul play was involved.
No other injuries were reported in the incident.
AP wire services helped contribute to this report.
- A large fire destroyed a multifamily home in Passaic County and sent at least one person to the hospital.
- Three people were hospitalized after a school bus and two other vehicles collided in Bridgewater.Three people were hospitalized after a school bus and two other vehicles collided in Bridgewater.
- Authorities are awaiting autopsy results after police recovered the bodies of two newborns from a recycling center in Middlesex County.
- A car crash that killed an 18-year-old Warren Hills Regional High School student Wednesday night has been ruled a suicide, according to a report by LehighvalleyLive.com.
- Police in New Orleans say a woman was struck and killed by a parade float as the city celebrated Mardi Gras.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Send us photos of all of the pets you love!Send us photos of all of the pets you love!
- Baseball season is right around the corner, and the Mets have reported to their spring training facility. Take a look at some of the sights from Port St. Lucie, Florida.
- The Yankees have a World Series title on their mind in 2020, but it all begins with spring training. Take a look at some of the sights from Tampa, Florida.
- The NASCAR Daytona 500 auto race took place at Daytona International Speedway Feb. 17, in Daytona Beach, Fla.
- Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!