Wind ADVISORY in effect for:
Special Weather STATEMENT in effect for:
Unhealthy influence: People are getting plastic surgery to increase Instagram famePosted: Updated:
Instagram has recently banned filters in the app that would mimic the look of plastic surgery.
This was done as more and more people seem to be getting real plastic surgery in order to look like social media influencers who post daily online. Some experts now suggest that the struggle to create a perfect appearance online is now bleeding over into the real world.
Plastic surgeon Dr. John Paul Tutela says that some clients are, “Showing me their wish pics, and they’re other influencers on Instagram. He says that the clients ask for specific body or facial types that they see online.
Tutela says that the ability to post “selfies” online is also contributing to the issue.
“People are taking photos of themselves very close up, seeing it instantly, then posting it and, you know, getting everybody’s reaction immediately,” he says. "It's not the place of a plastic surgeon or anyone else in your life to point out flaws."
With surgical and nonsurgical enhancements on the rise, Tutela says that it is important for someone to have an honest conversation with their doctor.
“I talk with each patient about what their goals are for what they’re trying to achieve. And then we talk about ways to achieve it, what that might entail and then what recovery will look like,” he says.
Instagram has done several other things to help quell the negative effects of social media, such as removing the number of likes on a photo that the public can see.
- The statewide total number of coronavirus cases in New Jersey now stands at 51,027 cases, after Gov. Phil Murphy just announced 3,748 new cases.
- Gov. Phil Murphy answers your questions about the COVID-19 outbreak in New Jersey in this special edition of "Ask Gov. Murphy."
- President Donald Trump called the testing operation in the U.S. “by far the most sophisticated and the best anywhere.”
- Whatever the reason is, News 12 wants to see photos of what you're doing to keep busy during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Latest updates - UFC 249 canceled, task force says more than 2 million tested in the U.S., 'SNL' to return with remote episode, and Connecticut delays schools reopening until May 20.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- This week's Super Pink Moon is the biggest full moon of 2020. Did you see it? Share your photos with us.
- In these trying times, we can all use a breath of fresh air every once in a while. News 12 wants to see your scenic photos while you get your breath of fresh air.
- These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.
- From doctors and nurses to firefighters and police officers. From grocery store workers to news media and beyond. There are many who work hard to keep things running, keep us informed and keep us safe.
- Celebrating Easter or Passover is a little different this year. So, we want to see how you are celebrating. News 12 wants to see all of your photos, including throwbacks!