Wind ADVISORY in effect for:
Special Weather STATEMENT in effect for:
Displaced dogs from earthquake-stricken Puerto Rico heading to NJPosted: Updated:
New Jersey is lending a helping "paw" and giving many displaced dogs from Puerto Rico a new home.
Forty rescue dogs made their way to the Garden State on an eight-hour, 2,000-mile flight from Puerto Rico.
Many of the dogs come from earthquake-stricken areas in Puerto Rico. Many of them don't have a home, but they're coming to New Jersey with hopes of changing that.
Puerto Rico has been rocked by a series of earthquakes over the last month, causing serious damage to the island's infrastructure, buildings and homes.
While many people are left picking up the pieces, some animals are abandoned and lost. According to information by the Sato Project, there are nearly a half a million stray dogs in Puerto Rico, with many municipal animal shelters posting a 90% kill rate.
As part of a collaboration between the Sato Project and Wings of Rescue, the dogs are brought to New Jersey and other places in the Northeast - giving them a chance to find a good home and making room for more animals at shelters in Puerto Rico.
The dogs will be taken to local shelters for a checkup and will be ready for adoption in the next week.
Many of the dogs will be available at St. Hubert's Animal Welfare Center in Madison.
According to the Sato Project, the average price of rescuing a dog from Puerto Rico and transporting them to New Jersey is about $1,500 in donations.
- The statewide total number of coronavirus cases in New Jersey now stands at 51,027 cases, after Gov. Phil Murphy just announced 3,748 new cases.
- Gov. Phil Murphy answers your questions about the COVID-19 outbreak in New Jersey in this special edition of "Ask Gov. Murphy."
- President Donald Trump called the testing operation in the U.S. “by far the most sophisticated and the best anywhere.”
- Whatever the reason is, News 12 wants to see photos of what you're doing to keep busy during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Latest updates - UFC 249 canceled, task force says more than 2 million tested in the U.S., 'SNL' to return with remote episode, and Connecticut delays schools reopening until May 20.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- This week's Super Pink Moon is the biggest full moon of 2020. Did you see it? Share your photos with us.
- In these trying times, we can all use a breath of fresh air every once in a while. News 12 wants to see your scenic photos while you get your breath of fresh air.
- These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.
- From doctors and nurses to firefighters and police officers. From grocery store workers to news media and beyond. There are many who work hard to keep things running, keep us informed and keep us safe.
- Celebrating Easter or Passover is a little different this year. So, we want to see how you are celebrating. News 12 wants to see all of your photos, including throwbacks!