American Cancer Society: Death rates have biggest drop in single yearPosted: Updated:
There is some encouraging news in the fight against cancer – death rates have had their biggest drop in a single year, according to the American Cancer Society.
Joann Zagursky was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer in 2015.
"They discovered that tumor on my right lung...and I said to my daughter, 'I'm going to die,'" says Zagursky.
But nearly five years later, Zagursky says that she is cancer-free. She is part of an encouraging trend of cancer survivors. The American Cancer Society says that the death rate from cancer declined by 2.2% in the 2016-2017 study year.
“None of us feel like it’s a home run and we can hang up our coats and be done. But we all feel enormous gratitude that we’re seeing the needle move in the right direction,” says oncologist Janice Mehnert of the Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey.
Mehnert and colleague Dr. Salma Jabbour, who treats lung patients, say that they've been encouraged by better patient outcomes.
“Declines in smoking, improved treatments, improved detection rates with lung cancer and lung cancer screening,” Jabbour says.
Zagursky, who is 84 years old, says she feels great.
“The doctor said, ‘Give me your strength, let me see how strong you are.’ Now, I had chemo. And I pushed him, he almost fell over, because I pushed him so strong because he was pushing me,” she says.
- The state Attorney's General Office has released dramatic body camera video, from the perspective of a Jersey City police officer, of the deadly shootout at the JC Kosher Supermarket in December.
- It may be a bad flu season for kids, but early signs suggest the flu vaccine is working OK.It may be a bad flu season for kids, but early signs suggest the flu vaccine is working OK.
- A case of the mumps has been reported at Grice Middle School in Hamilton Township, according to a letter sent to parents by the school district.
- The University at Albany is looking into whether an off-campus coronavirus-themed party violated the college's student code of conduct.
- A winning Powerball New Jersey lottery ticket worth $50,000 was sold at the ShopRite in Lanoka Harbor.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Send us photos of all of the pets you love!Send us photos of all of the pets you love!
- Baseball season is right around the corner, and the Mets have reported to their spring training facility. Take a look at some of the sights from Port St. Lucie, Florida.
- The Yankees have a World Series title on their mind in 2020, but it all begins with spring training. Take a look at some of the sights from Tampa, Florida.
- The NASCAR Daytona 500 auto race took place at Daytona International Speedway Feb. 17, in Daytona Beach, Fla.
- Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!