Wind ADVISORY in effect for:
Coastal Flood ADVISORY in effect for:
‘You do that to no child’: Woman allegedly left 2-year-old in scalding bathPosted: Updated:
Authorities on Long Island say a 2-year-old boy is recovering in the hospital after being placed in a burning-hot bath -- so hot that the child suffered second-degree burns on 20% of his body.
According to authorities, Yenci Lopez, 19, of Hempstead, allegedly put her cousin's son into the burning tub.
Court documents say it happened Sunday night at Lopez's home on Kane Avenue in Hempstead.
Police say Lopez put the boy in the burning hot water for several minutes and walked away, despite the child's screams. Instead of helping him, Lopez allegedly took the boy to a birthday party at a nearby house, where partygoers saw the child's condition getting worse.
"I have kids and I have grandkids,” says Janet Patterson, of Hempstead. “That's brutal. You do that to no child. They're kids, they need your love, they need nurture."
Lopez is facing multiple charges, including child endangerment. Her attorney calls the incident a horrible accident and a misunderstanding.
- Gov. Phil Murphy and state officials discuss the latest updates on the coronavirus crisis in New Jersey.
- Whatever the reason is, News 12 wants to see photos of what you're doing to keep busy during the coronavirus pandemic.
- Latest updates - NY assemblyman dies, Cuomo reports NY's highest single-day death toll, NJ moves primary elections and Murphy orders nonessential construction to stop.Latest updates - Pence warns Philadelphia emerging as potential hot spot, NY assemblyman dies, Cuomo reports NY's highest single-day death toll, NJ moves primary elections and Murphy orders nonessential construction to stop.
- Plus: Gov. Andrew Cuomo says residents are flattening the curve.Plus: Gov. Andrew Cuomo says residents are flattening the curve.
- New Jerseyans out of work due to COVID-19 are finding it impossible to claim unemployment benefits because of obsolete government technology and staffers overwhelmed by the volume of calls.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- This week's Super Pink Moon is the biggest full moon of 2020. Did you see it? Share your photos with us.
- In these trying times, we can all use a breath of fresh air every once in a while. News 12 wants to see your scenic photos while you get your breath of fresh air.
- These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.These photos capture scenes around the world as countries cope with the outbreak.
- From doctors and nurses to firefighters and police officers. From grocery store workers to news media and beyond. There are many who work hard to keep things running, keep us informed and keep us safe.
- Celebrating Easter or Passover is a little different this year. So, we want to see how you are celebrating. News 12 wants to see all of your photos, including throwbacks!