Monmouth SPCA reopens after closure due to dog flu outbreakPosted: Updated:
The Monmouth County SPCA animal center reopened Thursday after being forced to close for a month due to an outbreak of the dog flu.
The shelter has resumed animal adoptions, and officials say that there are hundreds of dogs and cats waiting to be adopted.
“All of our dogs are healthy, they are flu-free, and they are ready to go home to their forever homes,” says Monmouth County SPCA director Ross Licitra.
Licitra says that canine influenza is not deadly to dogs, but that it is very contagious.
“Making the decision to shut down the shelter at the busiest time of year was, we know, the right decision, but also a hard decision to make,” he says.
The shelter is now filled with dogs and kittens after its 25-day closure.
“Gilbert is one of the 64 kittens that came back to us at the end of last week, ready to spay or neuter, ready to be adopted,” says assistant director Barbara Lovell-Napoli.
Monmouth SPCA officials say that more than 1,300 kittens came through the facility in 2019.
“The public has been very kind, very supportive. Over 5,000 animals came through here last year and we need to take care of them all.",” says Lovell-Napoli.
The Monmouth County SPCA is open every day except Tuesdays for pet adoptions. The veterinary center has also reopened to the public. Managers say they took a financial hit during the closure and that monetary donations are always welcome.
- The state Attorney's General Office has released dramatic body camera video, from the perspective of a Jersey City police officer, of the deadly shootout at the JC Kosher Supermarket in December.
- It may be a bad flu season for kids, but early signs suggest the flu vaccine is working OK.It may be a bad flu season for kids, but early signs suggest the flu vaccine is working OK.
- A case of the mumps has been reported at Grice Middle School in Hamilton Township, according to a letter sent to parents by the school district.
- The University at Albany is looking into whether an off-campus coronavirus-themed party violated the college's student code of conduct.
- A winning Powerball New Jersey lottery ticket worth $50,000 was sold at the ShopRite in Lanoka Harbor.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Send us photos of all of the pets you love!Send us photos of all of the pets you love!
- Baseball season is right around the corner, and the Mets have reported to their spring training facility. Take a look at some of the sights from Port St. Lucie, Florida.
- The Yankees have a World Series title on their mind in 2020, but it all begins with spring training. Take a look at some of the sights from Tampa, Florida.
- The NASCAR Daytona 500 auto race took place at Daytona International Speedway Feb. 17, in Daytona Beach, Fla.
- Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!Did you just get engaged? News 12 wants to celebrate with you!