‘It just felt like Christmas’ – Diner waitress receives tip of more than $800Posted: Updated:
It was a much-needed boost just before the holidays – a Monmouth County waitress received more than $800 as a tip from customers.
Joy Carter works the morning shifts at the Blue Swan Diner in Oakhurst. The single mother says that she had started her busy Sunday morning shift when a table of eight women left her an envelope with the large tip inside.
She says that she ran outside to catch the women to thank them.
“What a difference they made for me. They didn’t have any idea. They really took care of me this Christmas,” Carter says.
Carter says that she has worked at the diner for the last 10 years while raising her daughter – who is now 21 – on her own.
“I already paid for Christmas dinner. I made my car payment and now there are a few things left that I have to get that I can get. And I’m off four days for the holidays,” she says.
Blue Swan owner Mario Magriplis says that he finds it a blessing that this happened in his diner.
“Acts of kindness like this have to be celebrated, and we see them on the news every time but when you really witness it firsthand it can really make an impact on people's lives,” he says.
Carter says that she cannot thank the customers enough.
"I felt relief. Relief and happy and, just Christmas, you know? It just felt like Christmas,” she says.
Carter says that the customers’ kindness makes all her struggles as a waitress and mother worth it.
- Police in Jackson Township say an ad in the Waze navigation app is misdirecting motorists headed to Atlantic City's Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa into the wilderness of New Jersey's Pinelands.
- Senators like to float above messy politics in what's known by some as the dignified “upper chamber," home of Congress' cooler heads and lofty rhetoric.
- One family in New Jersey has three siblings that all have the same exact birthday – Nov. 30, and during an interview with News 12’s Brian Donahue, they mentioned Ellen DeGeneres multiple times, and hoped to one day be on her show.
- President Donald Trump is expected to be in Wildwood next Tuesday to host a rally, and according to U.S. Rep. Jeff Van Drew, who just flipped parties to Republican from Democrat, roughly 100,000 tickets have been requested.
- Authorities say a man from Philadelphia was killed in an industrial accident in a Vineland processing facility.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!
- According to the National Retail Federation, Americans were expected to spend $490 million on costumes for their pets this past Halloween. But there's another special day to celebrate your furry friend!
- The National Board of Review assembled many of the regulars of this year’s awards season in the annual, untelevised gala dinner at Cipriani’s 42nd Street in midtown Manhattan.
- The stars of the film "Like a Boss" hit the red carpet Tuesday in New York City for the premiere.The stars of the film "Like a Boss" hit the red carpet Tuesday in New York City for the premiere.