Check out these pop-up retailers inside Jersey City’s 'Container Village’Posted: Updated:
Could pop-up storefronts help revive a Jersey City neighborhood? This is what city officials hope happens thanks to the city’s new “Container Village.”
Officials say that it is a different take on brick-and-mortar storefronts. Retailers are setting up shop inside cargo containers.
“It gives a nice little physical presence to a business like mine that is mainly online,” says Nia Reid-Allen, who sells clothing that she designs.
Reid-Allen’s business is one of four that operate on a formerly unused lot on Martin Luther King Jr. Drive. Officials say that the idea is to bring shoppers to an economically-challenged area of the city.
"Rents are expensive and a lot of small startups just need a hand up,” says Michele Massey the Jackson Hill Main Street Special Improvement District, an organization created to help rebuild the business district of this area of Jersey City.
Another business operating in “Container Village” belongs to Tara Stafford, who sells home furnishing – many of which are crafted in Ghana.
"Some of us actually are thinking of trying to spin this off and get a more permanent space,” she says.
New mom Alyza Brevard-Rodriguez is a Navy veteran who opened a pop-up satellite location of her spa. She is offering infrared sauna visit discounts to neighborhood residents.
“People buy some of the products that we have here and then we also have a masseuse who comes on-site as well also at a reduced rate,” she says.
Each of the businesses gets to operate in the location for two months, rent-free. City officials say that they hope that the no-cost storefronts will be a positive step for the neighborhood, which is an area where public safety and economic development are an issue.
- The FTC is reportedly considering seeking an injunction against Facebook.The FTC is reportedly considering seeking an injunction against Facebook.
- Did you know that, according to Swiss researchers, there are 21,647 characters in the "Star Wars" universe?Did you know that, according to Swiss researchers, there are 21,647 characters in the "Star Wars" universe?
- Microsoft has unveiled its latest next-generation Xbox console.Microsoft has unveiled its latest next-generation Xbox console.
- WeWork could potentially break 100 leases it has with buildings around the globe as it works to curb its losses.WeWork could potentially break 100 leases it has with buildings around the globe as it works to curb its losses.
- The next SpaceX Dragon capsule that will launch for the International Space Station will be carrying a payload of cannabis.The next SpaceX Dragon capsule that will launch for the International Space Station will be carrying a payload of cannabis.
- Officials say a Keyport pawn shop owner was arrested Saturday in connection to the deadly shooting in Jersey City.
- A wintry mix is expected to impact Monday evening's commute.A wintry mix is expected to impact Monday evening's commute.
- A woman was fatally struck by a car while trying to cross the street in Hackettstown Friday.A woman was fatally struck by a car while trying to cross the street in Hackettstown Friday.
- Officials say a Sussex County man is accused of stealing millions of dollars then using that money to buy donkeys.
- Happy Bill of Rights Day! Do you know what the Bill of Rights is?Happy Bill of Rights Day! Do you know what the Bill of Rights is?