Somerset County officials hold 3rd hepatitis A clinic amid ShopRite scarePosted: Updated:
Somerset County health officials held a third hepatitis A clinic today in Somerville after administering 550 doses of the vaccines to ShopRite customers Thursday who were potentially exposed to the illness.
Hundreds of people lined up for the vaccines Thursday, and the clinic even had to close early because of the overwhelming number of people.
Officials said that so many people showed up that they had to cut the line early so that they could get to everyone. The clinic stopped serving new people at 4:30 p.m. It was supposed to stay up until 8 p.m.
Customers of the Somerville ShopRite at 1 South Davenport St. were alerted to protect themselves after a deli worker tested positive for hepatitis A.
Anyone who ate deli food purchased between Oct. 13 and 30, or used the store's restroom, could be at risk.
"We had bought the lunch meat," says Sandy Benko, of Manville. "I checked the packaging on my lunch meat and it was in that period that date period. So, I said I better go get the shot."
ShopRite officials said that the deli area has been thoroughly cleaned and all food handled by the worker has been thrown out.
The Somerset County Health Department is offering the vaccinations for free.
Vaccinations for adults age 19 and older will be given on a first come, first serve basis.
Answers to frequently asked questions about hepatitis A are available here.
- The family of missing 25-year-old Freehold woman Stephanie Parze will begin their own search for her today in the extensive woods surrounding Michael Tighe Park.
- Police dashcam video in West Windsor captured a stopped car on the tracks when an Amtrak train barreled through it at high speed.
- Police in Glassboro say a man was killed after his motorized scooter collided with a car.Police in Glassboro say a man was killed after his motorized scooter collided with a car.
- Authorities say a New Jersey woman left a 4-year-old girl alone in a hotel room while she gambled at a Pennsylvania casino.
- Wawa is set to open its newest location in New Jersey Thursday, but will first be hosting a Taste of Wawa event today.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Photos from the public congressional hearings as part of the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump and his administration's dealings with Ukraine.
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- Looking for a place to listen to some music or see a local play? Here is a list of concert venues in the Tri-state area.