‘They go to attack you.’ Aggressive gaggle of wild turkeys terrorize 55-and-up communityPosted: Updated:
Wild turkeys are running amok at an over-55 community in Ocean County.
Residents say turkeys in a large flock are blocking their doorways, pecking at cars and behaving aggressively.
"I can't get out of my door," says one resident. "Sometimes I can't get out of my car. They go to attack you."
Just in time for Thanksgiving, an aggressive gaggle of 40 to 60 wild turkeys is terrorizing the community in the Holiday City section of town.
Residents say that shooing the birds away doesn't help, and that they actually bite. Some say that the turkeys have even broken windows in people's houses.
Meanwhile, Toms River says its animal control officers are powerless to stop the turkeys because they are not licensed to trap wildlife.
A spokesman for the Department of Environmental Protection said that Fish and Game is aware of the situation but did not have further information or comment.
Resident Cindy Lijoi compares the birds to scary dogs.
Wildlife officials say male "tom" turkeys can weigh between 16 and 24 pounds and can run up to 20 miles per hour.
- New Jersey’s African American lawmakers want to start studying how the state could make reparations for slavery.
- America's largest milk producer Dean Foods, headquartered in Dallas, Texas, is filing for bankruptcy.
- Ford is recalling over 168,000 F-150 pickup trucks in North America to fix an electrical problem that could cause engine stalling or fires.
- Manalapan Mayor Susan Cohen asked state leaders to close down the privately owned, and state-licensed Manalapan Manor, citing several of its residents have died in recent years from a variety of causes.
- A 92-year-old man from Montville is hoping to find someone to take his late wife’s collection of 4,000 dolls.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury
- Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.