Coastal Flood WARNING in effect for:
Coastal Flood ADVISORY in effect for:
Wind ADVISORY in effect for:
Jersey City mayor denies campaigning at polls on Airbnb questionPosted: Updated:
Jersey City's mayor is denying he engaged in prohibited campaigning during voting on hotly contested measures restricting Airbnb and other short-term rental companies.
A short video posted online Tuesday showed Mayor Steven Fulop speaking to someone inside a polling place near a voting booth. The conversation wasn't entirely intelligible, but Fulop can be heard saying, 'So vote 'yes.'"
Fulop said he was thanking poll workers and that he didn't approach anyone or hand out literature.
"Airbnb is putting out that information with a four-second doctored, edited clip. And we're calling to put out the entire video. We don't electioneer at polling sites. We didn't approach anybody. I didn't have material with us. There were 10 other people in there,” Fulop said. “They should put out the entire clip instead of just four seconds, and let the public decide. I'm totally comfortable with that."
State law bans soliciting support or distributing literature within 100 feet of a polling place.
A spokesman for Keep Our Homes, an organization opposed to the measures, told the Associated Press in an email that Fulop's actions showed "a shocking disregard for the law."
The Associated Press wire services contributed to this report.
- Voters in two local school districts have decided to raise their own taxes to fund mental health services in their schools.
- The Thanks4Giving kicked off Saturday with hundreds of runners in Asbury Park raising money for the Special Olympics New Jersey.
- Officials say five people are in custody in connection to the shooting at Pleasantville High School during a football game Friday night that left three people injured.
- State Fish and Wildlife officials located a coyote's den just a day after someone was attacked by one of the animals near Rutgers University.
- This week, we're putting the spotlight on the Rahway Community Action Organization in Union County.This week, we're putting the spotlight on the Rahway Community Action Organization in Union County.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Photos from the public congressional hearings as part of the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump and his administration's dealings with Ukraine.
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury