Powell scores 27, leads No. 12 Seton Hall past Wagner 105-71Posted: Updated:
The Seton Hall men’s basketball team tipped off one of its most-anticipated seasons in the program’s history Tuesday night.
Star player Myles Powell scored 27 points to lead No. 12 Seton Hall to a 105-71 win over Wagner, without coach Kevin Willard on the sidelines. Assistant Coach Grant Billmeier took over duties.
Seton Hall announced a week ago that the NCAA is investigating the program and Willard would be sitting out two games. The school didn't say what the NCAA enforcement staff was investigating, but said it was working with the ruling body for college sports.
Quincy McKnight added 10 points and seven assists for Seton Hall.
Patrick Szpir led Wagner with 12 points and 11 rebounds, and Alex Morales finished with 13 points.
Wagner kept the game competitive for much of the first half. Then, Sandro Mamukelashvili, who finished with 11 points, scored on a feed from Anthony Nelson, and Shavor Reynolds followed a steal with a dunk to give Seton Hall a 46-35 lead with 1:41 remaining.
Seton Hall extended its lead to 52-37 and pushed its advantage to as many as 37 points with less than a minute remaining.
Willard will return to coaching duties Saturday when the Pirates take on Stony Brook.
Previous Coverage: Seton Hall Basketball fans get ready for new season
The Associated Press wire services contributed to this report.
- The family of missing 25-year-old Freehold woman Stephanie Parze will begin their own search for her today in the extensive woods surrounding Michael Tighe Park.
- Police dashcam video in West Windsor captured a stopped car on the tracks when an Amtrak train barreled through it at high speed.
- Police in Glassboro say a man was killed after his motorized scooter collided with a car.Police in Glassboro say a man was killed after his motorized scooter collided with a car.
- Authorities say a New Jersey woman left a 4-year-old girl alone in a hotel room while she gambled at a Pennsylvania casino.
- Wawa is set to open its newest location in New Jersey Thursday, but will first be hosting a Taste of Wawa event today.
New Jersey SlideshowsGalleriesMore>>
- Photos from the public congressional hearings as part of the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump and his administration's dealings with Ukraine.
- Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.Here's the 2019 concert lineup for The Borgata in Atlantic City.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- Looking for a place to listen to some music or see a local play? Here is a list of concert venues in the Tri-state area.